moving a mechanical stage in vertical direction

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bs0604

moving a mechanical stage in vertical direction

Post by bs0604 »

I have my camera and stackshot set up in a horizontal position. If I want to incorporate a microscope stage to cover the xy range for my subject how have others solved how to vertically change the position of the stage?

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

If I understand correctly, you want to use a microscope stage with its Y axis oriented vertically instead of horizontally, and use the X and Y adjustments of the stage to move the subject while keeping it in the focus plane.

Whether this is possible depends of the particular model of microscope stage. Virtually all modern microscope stages for transmitted-light microscopes are not meant to be used in this orientation, and many (probably most) will sag. Attaching the subject to a stage with its surface vertical can also be more difficult than laying it down on a horizontal stage surface.

Instead of a microscope stage, the easiest solution is probably to use a 3-D (=XYZ) micrometric stage. The Z mechanism of these stages is normally meant to be used in a vertical orientation, and will not sag as long as you do not exceed its maximum loading. In a horizontal setup, you will use the X (or Y) micrometer for horizontal translation and the Z micrometer for vertical translation. The third micrometer remains available for fine focus.

It is also possible to mount two tilt micrometric stages perpendicular to each other at the top of an XYZ stage, to add finely adjusted subject tilt capabilities.

The vertical stack of three or five micrometer stages gets rather high, so you may need to elevate the rest of the setup above the table level, or use an equivalent setup that lowers the stack of subject stages (for example by hanging it off the edge of the table).
--ES

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

I have been using an x-y stage intended for use on microscopes in a vertical position for two years now. It's mounted on its own wooden stand. On knob moves vertically, the other one horizontally. Sagging has never been a problem.
The object is mounted by a magnetic clamp or lately just by two disk magnets. The latter keeps it better lined up with the vertical plane.
--- felix filicis ---

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Here's a DIY solution that I use. It's an old Vivitar Macro focusing 2 X teleconverter. This gives you 17 mm vertical adjustment. If I need the stage taller, I add a PK-12 (adds 14 mm ) or PK-13 (Adds 27.5 mm) . The PK extension tubes are Nikon. I used old Nikon "F" mounts for the top & bottom. From the Arca plate up, the total height when closed is 107 mm. Maybe this will give you another idea to try.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic