A glut of Mitutoyo 7.5x Plan Apo Objectives ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, that's why abednego suggested it, but I think it may also solve the problem of reflection in epi lighting. Anyone have any experience with that?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

JohnyM wrote:Changing the angle will make the coverslip appear as different thickness to objective.
Worse, it will make the coverslip appear as different thickness for different parts of the aperture, so instead of correcting for spherical aberration, the added glass introduces asymmetric aberrations.

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 680#100680 and note the horizontal smearing with thicker glass.

--Rik

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

My bad, yes, as JohnyM and Rik pointed out slanted plates won't work. I was mixing it up with plates in infinity space.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

JohnyM wrote:
lothman wrote:
JohnyM wrote: I've paid (on previous "floods") ~130 USD for Nikon and 200 USD for Mitu.
where could I find a Mitu 20X for 200$ :shock:
Ebay.
If you take your time, you can find good prices for anything.

Recently bought Mitu 10x for 150$, and Nikon CF 50x ELWD for 125$.
In fact, i have more trouble finding money than good deals :lol:

Ie: few days agou i've bought motorized BF/DF/Pol/full set of DIC prisms/Fluorescence epi-illuminator for my microphot scope (didnt even knew that model existed) for 200USD and now i cant afford any BD objective without risking decapication from my wife hand (and they are like ~50 USD each ). :lol:

From my personal Ebay experiences last year the % of Ebay sellers skimping on packaging and sending lenses in envelops has gone up quite a bit, its unbelievable sometimes. The risk of getting damaged optics is higher than ever in my opinion and buying a Mitutoyo for $100 I wouldn't expect a lens with pristine glass of the performance of a new objective but it is possible, nothing would surprise me anymore. There was a seller in 2017 with a case of brand new factory packaged Nikon 4x 0,20 objectives for $200 each, or 3 for $500. :shock:

Greenfields

Post by Greenfields »

Back to the Mitutoyo 7.5x

On 27th. December Robert OToole wrote:
"This is easy to explain. These are really the same stock of only 5 or 6 lenses. I believe these people don't even own the lenses and only order the product from the supplier after you send the funds. They make a quick 40-50% profit on top of the prices they pay.

At one point there were 5 or 6 Ebay re-sellers listing the same Printing Nikkor 105 all using the same images and the actual 105 PN was still available on Taobao by the actual owner.

If you can make a quick 50% on your money for a few minutes of work on your laptop, why not? That explains the 16 re-sellers.
Looking back at the eBay lisitngs - most of the claimed offers have now disappeared - in the majority of cases with just one or no sales. This is completely consistent with Robert's description of the Chinese Ebay market.

Henry

Feel free to edit my images.

lothman

Re: A glut of Mitutoyo 7.5x Plan Apo Objectives ?

Post by lothman »

lothman wrote:I made an offer and was accepted, two days after I payed I got the reply that the lens was broken (there were three available when I bought).

Seller promised to ask his boss wether there is another copy of this lens available in the new year.

So this is rather suspicious. Anybody else made better experiences with this bunch of lenses?

Happy new Year and best regards
Lothar
Update 7th january.
I complained to the seller, that if there were 3x available when I payed, it cannot be, that my lens should be broken/damaged. And that I will leave a negative rating if I won't receive a lens. Then all of a sudden I got a shipping notice and today I received the lens well packed (It also was at German custom so shipping was rocking fast). On the outside it looks very well and the lenses are clear without scratches or a haze :D

if I look straight through the lens everything looks perfect however if I look under an angle there is something looking like a delamination (blue arrow) one side at the rear.

On the other hand a quick stack manual done by a macro slider (with some layers missing / A7riii, Sigma lifesize tube lens) looks OK - what do you think. I think I'm OK, the delamination is not affecting the image.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You have to consider the resale value of something which looks damaged. I'd say it's worth a LOT less than an average one, even if it performs well.
Chris R

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Judging from the picture, the problem might be at the ground circumference of the lens rather that on an optical surface.

It is true that cosmetic issues may deter some buyers. I for one am more interested in the actual way a lens performs, rather than how it looks. Some of my second-hand lenses look quite battered, but I don't mind as long as IQ and mechanical functionality are fine.
--ES

lothman

Post by lothman »

enricosavazzi wrote:Judging from the picture, the problem might be at the ground circumference of the lens rather that on an optical surface.
Yes it is at the ground surface.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I wonder wjat the odds of future growth are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic