Flocking Question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bs0604

Flocking Question

Post by bs0604 »

I am getting ready to place flocking in my tubes/adapter rings. Should I flock each item separately or can I flock larger sections that are screwed together?

hero

Post by hero »

If you want to do it quickly and don't have intentions to disassemble or rearrange the components, then flock the larger sections with a single piece of material. If you like arts and crafts and enjoy being meticulous, then flock the individual parts like I did.

If you have enough flocking material--I bought way too much flocking for what I actually needed, like 5 times the amount--then I recommend a quick job first, to see if the flocking makes a difference in your results. Just be careful that if you are going to do it, you shouldn't miss any parts, or be so sloppy that the material gets in the way of image-forming light.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

If you are using a APC camera and your tubes are 42mm diameter then you can flock by just rolling up the flocking material (Beetle Black) into a cyclinderical tube and slide inside the 42mm tubes. This works well and is easy to remove as you don't need to "stick" anything to the tube walls. Be sure to use a black pen to coat the ends and edges of the black stock so it doesn't reflect. Also, don't forget the backs of the adapter for the objective, here you can use double-sided tape if your black stock (Beetle Black) doesn't have a sticky backing like Protostar. I use both Beetle Black and Protostar for each area.

Get a lint remover and roll the stock before you use it in the tube, lots of loose fibers on the stock that can and will get onto your sensor and/or lenses.

If you are using a full frame camera with 42mm tubes then consider sticking the stock to the tube interior walls since the sensor diagonal is ~43mm. This is why I use 52mm or 58mm tubes for FF use, then you can just use the rolled up stock approach since you have some "clearance" between the tube interior diameter and the sensor corners.

Looks like you are making good progress, keep us up to date on your progress.

Good to have another "Floridian" around :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic