Fossil Aulacodiscus from St. Laurent (images added)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I just finished cleaning a sample of raw diatomite from St. Laurent, France. There weren't many intact forms in the largest fraction (the material held back by a 175um mesh) but here's a nice Aulacodiscus reticulatus I picked out.

I'd hoped to get all details in a single picture, but it proved impossible even using a deep stack taken with a 40/0.95 planapo objective. The sharp detail of the pores kept obscuring the smoother overlying reticulation (which looks a bit like the skin of a cantaloupe).

I included 3 single-shot images taken at lower resolution with the condenser aperture closed down somewhat. This shows the reticulation more clearly, First inset is focused on the top of the valve, second halfway through and third near the bottom.

Guess it just goes to show you can't always capture everything in a single image, even with stacking, and particularly with transparent subjects like diatoms.

Last edited by Beatsy on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Excellent!!!
Pau

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Really nice diatom find, and a fine image. The problem of trying to stack and display internal structure which is overlaid with a semitransparent, but structured surface is a perennial one. I have encountered it a lot with slide mounted small insects like bird lice.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

It is still a very nice result. Stacking is hardly ever perfect. But have to tried to photograph this subject with dark field? It may be hard with this NA objective but if you have an objective with an iris, or perhaps a lower NA objective.

Wim

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Wim van Egmond wrote:... But have to tried to photograph this subject with dark field? It may be hard with this NA objective but if you have an objective with an iris, or perhaps a lower NA objective.
There should not be problem with the Zeiss oil dark field Ultracondenser 1.2-1.4, I use it with my 50/1.00 NPL Fluotar
Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks all for the comments.

I had a look in darkfield, but it seemed far too "busy" or cluttered for that - overlying details obscured underlying ones even more. I could only use a 16x for that though. I used to have the ultra darkfield condenser, but it went missing during a house move. Two years on and I still occasionally search old boxes and obscure corners in the hope it might show up, but it never does :(

On an interesting side note, I found an old plate of diatom sketches that had two views of A. reticulatus drawn. One focused on the surface of the valve, one on the pores. From memory, I think it was a plate by Moller - so it seems I'm in good company with what appears to be a (very) long standing issue :)

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Really interesting

anne

Post by anne »

Hello,

really very nice stack of a very difficult diatom! Thank you for this great image. :D :D

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Looks like "more NA" is the answer here. I oiled a planapo 100/1.3 and an NA1.4 condenser lens to the slide, added a touch of DIC and rattled off two stacks of the same diatom. The reticulation shows very clearly.

As I'd gone to the trouble of faffing with immersion oil, I took a stack from a large Coscinodiscus sp. mounted on the same slide (it's about 320um diameter). I considered these to be a rather "boring" genus, but was surprised at the level of extra detail that showed up. It's pretty much at the resolution limit of this setup, but I'm tempted to break out a deep violet filter and have another go with that. But too many new strews to search at the moment, so that will have to wait for a slow day :)

Olympusman

Diatoms,

Post by Olympusman »

##### Beasty, these oil immersion stacks are off the charts. You dah man.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Awesome!!
A fractal design remains to infinity!
Thank you for sharing it

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

The first of those shots with the oiled condenser is very very nice, just about as near to SEM as I've seen, and really on the edge of possible light resolution. Again I wonder if you have tried to make stereo pairs with these?
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

santiago

Post by santiago »

the oiled planapo images showing the reticulation are amazing!! the lighting and shading draws the shapes so nicely :)
Santiago
Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic