Zeiss Standard GFL and various accessories

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carlin Green

Zeiss Standard GFL and various accessories

Post by Carlin Green »

The retirement of a scientist has left me with a Zeiss Standard GFL polarizing microscope and a myriad of accessories. The set is remarkably complete and as far as I can determine, in excellent working condition. The only part I am currently lacking is the transformer to power the internal illumination, but an external light source and the mirror have allowed me to verify the function of the scope and its parts. Additionally, I have a pristine universal stage complete with all its objectives and accessories. I know one person who is capable of teaching me how to use it, although I do not have any application for it. In addition to the GFL scope, I have a newer-model trinocular head- I am not sure what system this goes to although it functions with the GFL. I also have some reflected light accessories, extra objectives, quartz and gypsum plates, a 360 degree rotatable analyzer, and two click-stop X-Y stage attachments.

I would like to know more about this equipment, but I lack the manual and have found only limited material on the internet, including some old price catalogs and general manuals about the GFL, but they generally lack specifics. I would also like to know how scarce these units are in this condition. Perusing the catalog from 1979, I see that the universal stage and accessories sold for some $5,500. Have these units maintained their value, or decreased somewhat due to advances in modern technology? Prices from around the internet vary considerably and it's hard to get a bearing on the value of this equipment. I would like to gather more information before I consider the fate of it all and whether I keep, sell, or trade any of these components.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

What you have there is a very rare and valuable polarizing and petrological outfit.

If you were to build a very careful auction with lots of good pictures you would probably be amazed at what it might bring on ebay. I think prices may be a bit lower as the people who recognize these things die off but there are still a few petrologists being minted.

The best person to help you sell it would be Dr. Olaf Medenbach of the Ruhr Universitat Bochum in Germany. He is one of the few people who still teaches how to use these very beautifully made artifacts of technology. He is very easy to find.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic