Nikon M/Objective Lens CF Plan 2.5X/0.075

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Hi All

I did a search but could not find anything on this unless I missed it.

What are your thoughts/opinion on this lens, it has a good WD of 8.8 but was wondering if anyone has practical experience with this lens and sample photos.

Is it sharp?, any issues with CA's etc?, what if it was used to go past 2.5x eg on a 300mm lens? etc

I am tossing between the dimage 5400 scanner lens or to get this lens?

cheers
Denis

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Nikon M/Objective Lens CF Plan 2.5X/0.075

Post by Chris S. »

Denis,

You're referring to an infinite version of this lens, it seems? If so, I can't speak to it.

I do have a finite Nikon CF M Plan 2.5x/0.075 210/0, WD 11mm (shown here , fifth picture down, second lens from the left). This finite version vignettes a bit on an APS-C sensor, but if one crops the corners, it's pretty nice. This said, I haven't used it in a while so can't directly compare it with other things we didn't formerly know about. (For example, I also have a Minolta Dimage 5400 lens, but have yet to put light through it.)

--Chris S.

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Hi Chris

Thanks for you response. Wow awesome setup and lenses.

Yes, its the infinite lens I was referring to.

I gave up looking for the Minolta 5400 & too expensive ie the full unit :-). Someone was selling the 5400 (lens only) for $100usd but I missed it else I would have got it.

cheers
Denis

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Denis,

Sorry I can't help you with the infinite version of this lens. Hope someone can supply info appropriate to the infinite version you're looking at!
Clintonwake wrote:Wow awesome setup and lenses.
Thanks! That post showed the earliest incarnation of the Bratcam. I've revised the Bratcam considerably since then. Some of these revisions, I've found the time to post out--others, I hope to share when I get the chance.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks Chris,

if you do get the time to compare the Nikon finite 2.5 vs the Dimage 5400, can you please share your results?

cheers
Denis

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Denis,

I wasn't planning to carefully compare these two optics. Would it be significantly helpful to you if I did? There are lots of things I'm more interested in working on than this particular lens comparison, but I could certainly get it done if your decision is depending on it.

One confounding issue I see is that my finite 2.5x objective may or may not perform similarly to the infinite version of this lens that you're considering. Absent information on this, would any data I produce be valid in influencing your decision?

(If anyone wants to compare these optics, PM me to arrange a loan! :D)

--Chris S.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I don't have sample photos but I did buy an example of this lens and test it several years ago, and can give my impressions...

The WD is extremely short, similar to many low-mag objectives intended for parfocal use on a microscope. If this is your application, then you won't be bothered, but it sounds like you're planning to do macro work, so I predict the short WD will be a bother for lighting and such.

Coverage is not great. My notes say that it was unsharp on the edges of APS-C. This is very different from my 5x and 10x from same series, which both cover APS-C fine.

My personal recommendation would be the Lomo 3.7x, but your application seems confusing. If you're planning on an infinite setup, then both the Lomo and the 5400 will need to be "properly paired" with a tube lens, and that can take some work. If used as finites, I expect either will win vs the 2.5x CF Plan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic