What's the mirrorless winner - need your help please!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Lou Jost wrote:Yes, and I am very happy that Nikon now has a short register distance too. Maybe some day I will be able to use those wonderful Sony-mount Cosina macro lenses after all.
Yeah that's the bigger picture. The Z7 might be a rather conservative camera in terms of performance, but the shallow mount and big opening carries on. Wait some iterations... it will just improve.

Also, may I ask for a favour? I'd like a dark field raw file of 10 minutes. Lens with cap on. My e-mail is macrocosmos1949@gmail.com

Thanks!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

With which camera?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou Jost wrote:Yes, and I am very happy that Nikon now has a short register distance too. Maybe some day I will be able to use those wonderful Sony-mount Cosina macro lenses after all.
Lou,

Evidently there are a number of new Z mount adapters being offered/developed that should allow just about any lens to work with the Z mount since the short registration.

The only weakness I see with the Z7 is the autofocus (low light) isn't up to the best overall DSLR performance of the D5 and D850 which are the benchmark for pro level autofocus. With the in camera stabilization Nikon potentially "could" do pixel shift, and agree I was a little disappointed it wasn't included. I really appreciate that the Z7 behaves and has similar menus and the "buttons" in the right places like the D850 or other Nikon top end DLSRs, so I could just pick it up, turn it on, and get going without any deep dive into the manual. In fact I haven't even opened the operating manual yet!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:
Evidently there are a number of new Z mount adapters being offered/developed that should allow just about any lens to work with the Z mount since the short registration.

The only weakness I see with the Z7 is the autofocus (low light) isn't up to the best overall DSLR performance of the D5 and D850 which are the benchmark for pro level autofocus. With the in camera stabilization Nikon potentially "could" do pixel shift, and agree I was a little disappointed it wasn't included. I really appreciate that the Z7 behaves and has similar menus and the "buttons" in the right places like the D850 or other Nikon top end DLSRs, so I could just pick it up, turn it on, and get going without any deep dive into the manual. In fact I haven't even opened the operating manual yet!
I agree. Nikon has done a super job with a few camera home runs in a row, D700,D800/D800E, D810, D500, D850, keeping the interface familiar but constantly improving the image quality and AF without raising the price. Nikon was on quite a roll with the D series since 2007!

The D4-D4s-D5 is not in that group BTW :?

The D850's 3D AF is just about perfect but then on the new Z7 its a step back with the speed/accuracy and lock on interface, it seems designed for people that want to use the touch screen to lock on a subject but this isn't a phone, I need to be able to do that with my eye on the viewfinder.

The Z7 seems made for a different market than the D series I think.

Robert

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

RobertOToole wrote:
mawyatt wrote:

I agree. Nikon has done a super job with a few camera home runs in a row, D700,D800/D800E, D810, D500, D850, keeping the interface familiar but constantly improving the image quality and AF without raising the price. Nikon was on quite a roll with the D series since 2007!

The D4-D4s-D5 is not in that group BTW :?

The D850's 3D AF is just about perfect but then on the new Z7 its a step back with the speed/accuracy and lock on interface, it seems designed for people that want to use the touch screen to lock on a subject but this isn't a phone, I need to be able to do that with my eye on the viewfinder.

The Z7 seems made for a different market than the D series I think.

Robert
Robert,

I haven't had any serious time with the Z7 yet, tied up with a new precision Stack & Stitch development. Don't have a D5, but do have a D850, and must say the D850 AF is superb, much better than D800, and supposedly D5 is even slightly better!! I read awhile back the D850 AF module/system, also D500, is from D5.

Think the AF factor for mirrorless will be the PD sensors are on the image capture chip. Maybe this limits the performance since PD sensors might be more sensitive or somewhat better performing when not restricted to the image chip fab processing.

Anyway, lots on my plate ahead.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

Don't forget about X-mount Fujifilm cameras; X-H1, X-T2, X-T3.
24Mp APS-C sensor, no AA filter. Electronic shutter, high dynamic range, IBIS (X-H1).
Due to shallow registration distance (17.7mm) Fuji cameras can easily be adapted to any other mount. Currently 44 different adapters are available.
After switching from Nikon APS-C DSLR my macro stacks got sharper and punchier while fine repeating patterns cleaned up from moire.
Nikon mirrorless might be the way to go but I would wait for second generation.
Best.
Miljenko
All things are number - Pythagoras

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Lou Jost wrote:With which camera?
The Z7 or EoS R.
I'm looking for dark field raws of new cameras.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

OK, sorry, can't help you there....

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Looking at Panasonic G9 turns my GAS on. Along with Olympus 60mm it could be ultimate field macro gear.
Althrough it's 2x crop factor and price point is very similar to entry FF body with ~100mm macro lens.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

JohnyM, my MFT mirrorless camera with Oly 60mm lens has become my standard field camera and I use it for in-camera focus bracketing in the field as well. Very highly recommended when weight is important, for example as in hard field work, mountain climbing, etc.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I'm considering a used G9 myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic