Can anyone help with this issue in Zerene??

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

shaypivac

Can anyone help with this issue in Zerene??

Post by shaypivac »

I'm getting these red warnings in Zerene Pro, picture attached. Not sure what it means?Image

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

An obvious question might be "have the files moved"?
Beyond that I don't recognise it. Rik L is your man, but he's travelling the next few days so may not have net access.
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Coming to you from a hotel not near anyone...

You have a very unusual situation. Most commonly the message "cannot find the path specified" occurs when the program tries to read a file and it is not in the expected location. But in your case the message occurs at a point where Zerene Stacker is trying to write a file, and for some reason the write request has been denied. I can tell from the file path that the intended write was into the current project, which is located in your AppData\Local\Temp\ folder. That is the default location where new projects are located, before a File > Save Project has been done.

My best guess is that disk space got tight on your computer, Windows decided to recover space by removing some "unneeded" temporary files, and happened to include the project folder as part of its efforts. Then when Zerene Stacker tried to use the project folder as a place to save the DMap result, indeed the path to the project folder could not be found.

The current project cannot be recovered. The DMap output was irretrievably lost when the file write failed.

To prevent this problem from occurring again, I suggest to create a new ordinary folder, something like C:\ZereneStackerNewProjects . Then launch Zerene Stacker from its own icon, go to Options > Preferences > New Projects, and change the selection from "In default temp directory" to "In specified directory" pointing it to the new folder. That will prevent Windows from thinking that it's OK to remove any of the temporary files.

I notice that you're using the Lightroom plugin, which by default also makes heavy use of Windows temporary space. So, to prevent Windows from possibly removing any of the temporary TIFFs, I suggest also re-creating the Lightroom plugin for Zerene, but specify a temporary images location that again is some ordinary Windows folder. I use C:\LRExportToZerene , which I have created beforehand.

After making these changes, immediately exit from Zerene Stacker. That will lock in the changes so that subsequent launches of Zerene Stacker will automatically use the same settings.

--Rik

shaypivac

Post by shaypivac »

Coming to you from a hotel not near anyone...

You have a very unusual situation. Most commonly the message "cannot find the path specified" occurs when the program tries to read a file and it is not in the expected location. But in your case the message occurs at a point where Zerene Stacker is trying to write a file, and for some reason the write request has been denied. I can tell from the file path that the intended write was into the current project, which is located in your AppData\Local\Temp\ folder. That is the default location where new projects are located, before a File > Save Project has been done.

My best guess is that disk space got tight on your computer, Windows decided to recover space by removing some "unneeded" temporary files, and happened to include the project folder as part of its efforts. Then when Zerene Stacker tried to use the project folder as a place to save the DMap result, indeed the path to the project folder could not be found.

The current project cannot be recovered. The DMap output was irretrievably lost when the file write failed.

To prevent this problem from occurring again, I suggest to create a new ordinary folder, something like C:\ZereneStackerNewProjects . Then launch Zerene Stacker from its own icon, go to Options > Preferences > New Projects, and change the selection from "In default temp directory" to "In specified directory" pointing it to the new folder. That will prevent Windows from thinking that it's OK to remove any of the temporary files.

I notice that you're using the Lightroom plugin, which by default also makes heavy use of Windows temporary space. So, to prevent Windows from possibly removing any of the temporary TIFFs, I suggest also re-creating the Lightroom plugin for Zerene, but specify a temporary images location that again is some ordinary Windows folder. I use C:\LRExportToZerene , which I have created beforehand.

After making these changes, immediately exit from Zerene Stacker. That will lock in the changes so that subsequent launches of Zerene Stacker will automatically use the same settings.

--Rik
Thank you Rik. thats sounds about right as I am very short on space until my new SSD turns up on monday. I will give that a go with the new SSD as i'll be shifting my stacking software and my adobe software onto the new SSD

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

rjlittlefield wrote:My best guess is that disk space got tight on your computer, Windows decided to recover space by removing some "unneeded" temporary files, and happened to include the project folder as part of its efforts. Then when Zerene Stacker tried to use the project folder as a place to save the DMap result, indeed the path to the project folder could not be found.

That sounds like the most likely explanation.

From day one, I've saved my output files to a dated folder in my photo hierarchy. I've never had this problem, even when disk space got relatively low.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic