Hi from me

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DavyC

Hi from me

Post by DavyC »

Hi All, Just thought to say 'Hi'. Have bought and ordered a few bits and pieces to get me started with macro and in particular, focus stacking. On reading posts, I can see there is a bit of a learning curve involved. Camera is Fuji X-T20 with XF60mm f2.4 1:2 lens. Have ordered a Tokina 100mm macro with adapter (Nikon fit) and some extension tubes. An automated motorized stacking rail slider. Manfrotto 410 junior geared head. I had an unused El Nikkor 50mm f2.8 lens, so ordered a reversing ring for that. Hopefully, this will get me started. I have CS6, but may well need to get something like Zerene to cope with stacks. Also need to get sorted with lighting. I have a small Godox flash and also a cheapo lens clamping flash unit. To end with a question. The motorized rail may well limit usable magnification, (I have no idea)as minimum travel is 0.025mm 40 steps per mm. Glad to hear your thoughts or recommendations. Thanks

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome to the forum Davy :)

Sounds like you're good to go.
25µm will be all you need for what you have, so won't limit you, yet!
The reversed El Nikkor works best around f/6, to about 4x.
For that you'll need a step around 100µm.

There's a lot of information, tables etc on the Zerene Stacker site.
Something like one of the cheap Chinese x-y rails would be good as a subject mount, for small things.
You'll need diffusers for flatter lighting than you'll probably expect. Paper and tissue paper work well. A second flash will prove useful - nothing fancy required.
Chris R

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Thanks for the pointers Chris. I Hadn't thought about an X-Y rail for a subject mount. Will be sure to visit the Zerene Stacker site for more info. While I am waiting on the rest of macro gear arriving, will have a go at making diffusers. I do have a couple of old Yongnuo flash units which might fit the bill.

rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

Fellow Fuji Macro guy here--although I use the 80mm. Fuji kind of fails when it comes to having many options when it comes to lighting. There are no ring lights that function in TTL for Macro but the already mentioned Yongnuo is a very reasonably priced manual alternative. I'm using the Godox flash with soft box at this point. Don't jump into too many accessories until you have some time to learn how your gear works and what you are interested in.

Good luck. Like the idea that there is another Fuji guy around!

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

The Fuji 80mm is on my wish list, but in the meantime, the Tokina 100mm macro lens has arrived. Since my first post, have added another Godox TT350F speedlight and Xpro wireless trigger. Will probably have a go at making up a diy diffuser. Its all part of the fun I guess.

Good to hear from a fellow Fuji Guy!

rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

The Tamron is excellent---the 80 is magnificent. I'm a huge fan of the whole Godox line for Fuji---I bought a a Pocket Box defuser for my TT685. (Too lazy to make my own and it wasn't very expensive) . Anyway, can't wait to see some of your early attempts---

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Early attempts are going to hang out in the recycle bin lol. I will be happy if I do eventually get a successful stacked shot. Even a single image shot in the field would be good.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Hi DavyC...I'm curious about your 40-step per mm automated stacking rail. What exactly is this rail, and how do you control it?

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

The rail is from a supplier in Belgium. 'Murzins'. I think the owner specializes in video rails, so this may just be an offshoot for macro guys. I have not yet used it properly. It is in the budget category and not uber sophisticated. Programing is on the control box. Select time and motor speed and pause to take a photo. I will give it a go shortly, when I get lighting sorted out.

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

A PicImage

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Looks good. And it allows you to step in 25um increments?

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Yes 25um is the minimum step size. It is possible, via internally fitted dip switches to increase this to 50um.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic