www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Making Crystals
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Making Crystals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Parsons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Making Crystals Reply with quote

I've been trying to grow crystals on microscope slides to photograph with polarized light. I'm not having much success in growing the crystals. Anyone have tried and true techniques? I've tried heating some chemicals like ascorbic acid without much luck, and also disolving it in water and letting to water evaporate. I must be doing something wrong.
Harald

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Don Parsons,
I´ve done some over the years. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you don´t.
Whats works for me is having a few grains on the slide, then added 3 drops of water onto it. Fridge gives larger crystals as water evapurate slower. I´ve also used a wine cooler set at 12 deg. celsius, works like a charm. The benefit from using a fridge or a wine cooler is that you usually don´t get dust on them.
Ascorbic acid, citric acid and tartaric acid works well. Remember not to use to much acid.
I´ve also used sterile water...

Good luck

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11
Don Parsons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Crystals Reply with quote

Thanks Harald, I'll give this method a try today.
Olympusman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Crystals Reply with quote

I have tried force drying solutions on slides with a coffee cup warmer, but now I put them on a black piece of paper on a windowsill to slow dry. I have found that with some chemicals (like garden products) this allows trace chemicals to "find" each other to make their own clusters that would not happen with forced drying. You may also tinker with the concentration so you don't get thick clumps of slides.
You can also make melt slides. Put a pinch of the powder on a slide and put a cover slip on. Then with a forceps, hold the slide in a flame until it melts. If it will melt, it will first bubble and then like a flash will spread out under the cover slip. Be sure to work in a well-ventilated area. If you have access to a compounding pharmacy, Resorcinol is an interesting subject for melt slides.

Mike
Robert Berdan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Growing Crystals on Microscope Slides Reply with quote

Hi - I make saturated solutions of the compounds and let them air dry on a microscope slide. Sometimes I heat the slides on a hot plate to accelerate the process, but I found the slower the slides dry the bigger the crystals.

I have posted an article with the techniques I use along with many photos - hope this helps.

https://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/art-and-science-photomicrography-polarized-light.html

I hoping to try beer and alcohol crystals in the future.
Cheers
Harald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve learned over the years that growing crystals in the fridge is a good way. Dustfree and cool. Gives nice crystals.

Thank you for the link btw. I will look into it and hope to learn more. Please let us know about beer and alcohol...

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: