Making Crystals

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Don Parsons

Making Crystals

Post by Don Parsons »

I've been trying to grow crystals on microscope slides to photograph with polarized light. I'm not having much success in growing the crystals. Anyone have tried and true techniques? I've tried heating some chemicals like ascorbic acid without much luck, and also disolving it in water and letting to water evaporate. I must be doing something wrong.
Don Parsons

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there Don Parsons,
I´ve done some over the years. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you don´t.
Whats works for me is having a few grains on the slide, then added 3 drops of water onto it. Fridge gives larger crystals as water evapurate slower. I´ve also used a wine cooler set at 12 deg. celsius, works like a charm. The benefit from using a fridge or a wine cooler is that you usually don´t get dust on them.
Ascorbic acid, citric acid and tartaric acid works well. Remember not to use to much acid.
I´ve also used sterile water...

Good luck
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Don Parsons

Crystals

Post by Don Parsons »

Thanks Harald, I'll give this method a try today.
Don Parsons

Olympusman

Crystals

Post by Olympusman »

I have tried force drying solutions on slides with a coffee cup warmer, but now I put them on a black piece of paper on a windowsill to slow dry. I have found that with some chemicals (like garden products) this allows trace chemicals to "find" each other to make their own clusters that would not happen with forced drying. You may also tinker with the concentration so you don't get thick clumps of slides.
You can also make melt slides. Put a pinch of the powder on a slide and put a cover slip on. Then with a forceps, hold the slide in a flame until it melts. If it will melt, it will first bubble and then like a flash will spread out under the cover slip. Be sure to work in a well-ventilated area. If you have access to a compounding pharmacy, Resorcinol is an interesting subject for melt slides.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Robert Berdan

Growing Crystals on Microscope Slides

Post by Robert Berdan »

Hi - I make saturated solutions of the compounds and let them air dry on a microscope slide. Sometimes I heat the slides on a hot plate to accelerate the process, but I found the slower the slides dry the bigger the crystals.

I have posted an article with the techniques I use along with many photos - hope this helps.

https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... light.html

I hoping to try beer and alcohol crystals in the future.
Cheers

Harald

Post by Harald »

I´ve learned over the years that growing crystals in the fridge is a good way. Dustfree and cool. Gives nice crystals.

Thank you for the link btw. I will look into it and hope to learn more. Please let us know about beer and alcohol...
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic