Nikon differential interference Unit Type T

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

edscopes

Nikon differential interference Unit Type T

Post by edscopes »

Some time ago I acquired a Nikon Differential interference unit Type T, intended to be used on the Nikon S Series scopes. The unit appeared to be in excellent condition. The Savart plates in both turret and compensator appeared to be clean and unblemished. All expected mechanical movements were smooth and correct. My initial attempts to use this unit on my Nikon L-Ke ( Nikon 10X pol objective) were unsuccessful although I could get a very sharp image of the field diaphragm in the plane of the specimen and could see nicely defined color bands in the back focal plane of the objective. After considerable searching I found the manuals for the use of this unit on the Nikon Alphaphot and the S Ke II. The manual for the S Ke II listed an auxiliary lens to be placed over the field lens of the light source. This lens was also shown in the catalog image of this unit. In both manuals, instructions to carefully adjust the condenser height to optimize the interference image are included, leading me to believe that the auxiliary lens is critical to imaging with this unit. Does anyone have any experience with this unit or as suggestion about how to determine the optical specifications of the auxiliary lens?
ed smithwick

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

Hi,Ed. I also have one of those type T DIC units, but mine doesn't have/need a auxillary lens for functioning. And yet I too have noticed something that looks like an auxillary lens in a 1976 catalog, but didn't think it to be an essential part. How does the image look like?

BTW, I've been looking around for a manual for this device for a while too...If you're interested in sharing, I could trade some other manual information for other Nikon S era equipment.

John

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Ed,

I have one of these sets as well www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22652

I bought a Nikon L-Ke for it and it worked well. It did not require a lot of work to set up, basically worked first time I tried, for the Nikon (S) Plan Pol 10 and 20 objectives. It didn't work with my Plan Pol 40 (for unknown reasons) but it worked with a later Nikon CFN Plan 40/0.70.

Here is a website for the Nikon L-Ke: https://www.mccrone.com/mm/illumination ... icroscope/ Could you point out which auxillary lens is missing for you?

Regards, Ichty

edscopes

manuals for interferenc contrast model T

Post by edscopes »

John: Have scanned and made a PDF document including the manuals for the S series and the Aposhot. My email address is listed but didn't find yours. Let me know yours and I will email them to you. Sorry for delay in responding but was out of town this weekend.I am tired of messing with it. I had some stuff (this condenser and other misc. dic parts, etc0 that I traded for a DIC Diaphot this weekend. Already getting great images without the aggravation. Cheers,Ed
ed smithwick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic