Where to get quality microscope slides?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jesse

Where to get quality microscope slides?

Post by Jesse »

Hello,

I just bought a Nikon e600 microscope with APO objectives. It occurs to me that now I need slides, cover slips, and a way to store/organize them (and probably a million other things I haven't thought about yet). I think the objectives have 0.11 - 0.23 slide cover slip thickness written on them.

I'm totally new to this. What should I get and where should I get it?

Thanks.

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Jesse

Objectives are usually marked "0" (use no coverslip), or "-" (use with or without coverslip), or "0.17" (use this thickness of coverslip).

Your objectives can be used with a range of coverslip thicknesses; this is normal for good-quality objectives with high NA that are used dry (no immersion oil). To get the best image, you need to turn the adjustment ring while looking down the microscope and re-focusing as necessary, until you find the sweet spot for the specimen you are looking at.

I expect someone will soon suggest a supplier of good-quality slides and coverslips.

Alan Wood

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

I have a certain type of zeiss coverslip that has higher specs for thickness. I believe it is the following:

Item Number: 474030-9000-000
Cover glasses, high performance, D=0.17mm, box with 1000 pc. Size 18x18 mm² type 1 1/2 H as per ISO 8255-1 with restricted thickness-related tolerance D=0.17 mm +/- 0.005 mm

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Is there any reason to avoid the amscope slides commonly available on amazon?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic