Rust

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Rust

Post by Deanimator »

Rust on an old pair of tweezers:

Canon T4i
Amscope 4x objective on bellows
Jansjo lamps
Wemacro
Zerene

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

That's neat, far more interesting than expected. Makes me wonder about the formation of the rust given it has it's origins in solid metal. All it did was interact with air and moisture, yet it builds up above the surface creating different colours (compounds) and textures. I might have to dig out a few rusty screws and have a closer look myself. Thanks.

Hope you don't mind me saying, but the image looks a little bit soft. Possibly diffraction limited? Did you have the objective extended beyond working limits, or was it at 160mm?

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Beatsy wrote:Hope you don't mind me saying, but the image looks a little bit soft. Possibly diffraction limited? Did you have the objective extended beyond working limits, or was it at 160mm?
I agree.

I took several images of different things yesterday, and they all seemed soft.

I played around with the length of the bellows trying to get it sharper, without much success.

My lighting is usually two 300w equivalent CFLs diffused through a double layer of foam cup. For this image, I used two Jansjo lamps.

This image was a crop. The original was washed out on the left side. I'm not sure why. I'll run the bellows back out to see what happens.

I was thinking about trying flash, but hadn't found my Neewer transmitter yet. I'll find it today and do a few with it. The exposure time may be too long. It was looking like four seconds.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic