LED controller

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Andy Davies

Post by Andy Davies »

Agree about the water cooling. My CPU has one and it is really neat and compact compared to the huge cooling fan towers that I used to use. I'm thinking about using something like a Corsair Hydro Series H45 for a 39V COB LED if the smallish copper/ally heat sink with fan doesn't do the job.

I'm always wondering how much the LEDs can be overdriven with good cooling.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everyone,
this is my solution:
BR, ADi

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Andy Davies wrote:Agree about the water cooling. My CPU has one and it is really neat and compact compared to the huge cooling fan towers that I used to use. I'm thinking about using something like a Corsair Hydro Series H45 for a 39V COB LED if the smallish copper/ally heat sink with fan doesn't do the job.

I'm always wondering how much the LEDs can be overdriven with good cooling.
I have over driven some LEDs at 2x their rated current for continuous operation, I only get about half stop more light, the rest of the energy seems to be converted to heat.

Not sure what kind of application you have in mind, if you do not need continuous light, then you can try pulse the LED at higher current and with less heat sink.

Here is a video showing a 9W LED being over driven at 12W (12V 1A) and is in a case (heat sink) designed for 7W LED. I have changed the case designed for 3W LED and it seems to be OK. It is experimental and I am limiting maximum exposure to 2s and mandate cooling time to be equal to pulse (if exposure is 1s, the LED will not turn on within 1s) so it can cool down when operating over 400 image stacks (about half hour stacking time)

Andy Davies

Post by Andy Davies »

Yes, that's right, hence the need to keep the LED cool in order for the extra power to be delivered as light (AFAIK!)

I will be doing video so need continuous light.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic