Leitz Orthoplan Help Needed

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JGardner

Leitz Orthoplan Help Needed

Post by JGardner »

Hi all! I've just acquired a Leitz Orthoplan and need some assistance with some issues I've encountered.

The first issue is that the field iris built into the base of the stand appears to be frozen solid in the fully open position. The thumb wheel used to control the iris won't budge and I'm afraid to force it and break something. How should I go about freeing up the iris mechanism so that it functions normally again?

The second issue is the elliptical first surface mirror in the base that reflects light from the lamp house up through the condenser. When the microscope arrived this mirror was loose in the base and out of position. I've managed to move it back to where it belongs, but nothing is holding it in place. How is this mirror held in place? Is it glued to a support, or does a metal clip hold it in place?

The third issue is the centering screws on the condenser. They seem to have an effect only when tightening the centering screws. Loosening them does nothing. Is this normal?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Jerry

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi Jerry, welcome aboard!

I can't really help as I don't have an Orthoplan, maybe other members could, be patient.
The third issue is the centering screws on the condenser. They seem to have an effect only when tightening the centering screws. Loosening them does nothing. Is this normal?
This is likely due to the third holding point that must be spring loaded and is not working, I've experienced this same issue with my Zeiss microscopes and in most cases it was due to old frozen grease in the mechanism. If you can dismount it, clean it and put fresh adequate damping grease.

The field diaphragm lock could be due to the same cause (in this case if there is grease try to remove it, diaphragms work better dry, (be aware that mounting a multiblade iris diaphragm is not a trivial work!) but could also be due to other causes like blades out of place...
Pau

Paleophil

Post by Paleophil »

HI Jerry,
Try this link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253729470690?rmvSB=true;
This spare parts is fixed on the plate (photo) with a screw.
For the first problem try the W40 and little by little move the wheel temperature is sometime a solution).

I hope that's help you,
Have a nice day,
Phil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic