Choosing an objective

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

clarnibass

Choosing an objective

Post by clarnibass »

Hi

Trying to choose an objective (4x or 5x). I'll spare you the details of why I ruled out ebay and almost all other online sources. I narrowed it down to a few options which I will buy locally (final prices including VAT, converted to $US).

WeMacro APO 5x WD 45mm - $330
Nikon CFI E Plan Achromat 4x WD 30mm - $140
Nikon CFI Plan Achromat 4x WD 30mm - $225
Nikon CFI Plan Fluor 4x WD 17.1mm - $600
Nikon CFI Achromat 4x WD 30mm - $150
Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x WD 34mm - $705

I'm really leaning towards one of the better ones, Mitutoyo and Nikon Fluor. I don't want to buy the same thing twice.

I read all the tests and articles on closeuphotography and they suggest this Mitutoyo maybe isn't as good as the better Nikons such as the Fluor, but not completely clear.
If the quality is essentially the same, I'd probably get the Mitutoyo for its longer WD and some other reasons.

The only reason I'd get one of the cheaper Nikons is if the two good ones are not good enough as a very long term lens.
The WeMacro is low on the list and the exception. I can't find anything about it, its advantage is WD and about half the price as the two good ones. It isn't particularly cheap and if I need to return it it's a big hassle.

I have a bit of an overdose from everything I read and answers I get her eon the forum :) I hope to get my final setup soon.

Thanks

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Info not readily available is their actual good image circle. If you use APS only, you can use a shorter "tube" lens to good effect. If you use FX, then your requirements are tighter.
EG Nikon fluor is great in the middle, but I have no idea if it cuts off dramatically at 27.7mm (Canon APS diameter).
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert O'Toole has a very comprehensive test of 4x objectives on his site:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/lens-tests/

clarnibass

Post by clarnibass »

Thanks, I read all the articles and tests, he does show both the Mitutoyo and the Nikon Fluor, but not really comparing them. He mentions (in the Mitutoyo article) that some of the better Nikons are sharper, but I think he is referring to the Super Fluor, not sure.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, he is referring to the Super Fluor.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The NIkon planapos are sharper too - it depends what coverage you need.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic