Sony a7Rii (/iii) tethering

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

boomblurt

Sony a7Rii (/iii) tethering

Post by boomblurt »

I'm considering changing from Canon to Sony but am confused about tethering while the camera shutter is triggered by a rail controller.

Currently I use the Canon EOS software and a Stackshot rail. This allows live view and remote camera control and automatic downloading of images to the computer, all from the EOS software - very convenient. The camera is connected to the computer by a micro USB port and to the controller by a separate shutter port.

The Sony a7Rii/iii doesn't have a dedicated shutter port? So what's the setup and workflow for these cameras? (I have the Stackshot IR trigger but other controllers may require a physical connection.)

Thanks for any information, or a link to where this is discussed.
Geoff

enricosavazzi

Re: Sony a7Rii (/iii) tethering

Post by enricosavazzi »

boomblurt wrote:The Sony a7Rii/iii doesn't have a dedicated shutter port?
I don't have a solution, but it is correct that the wired shutter trigger uses the only USB port.

The A7 RII (and probably all other recent models) can also use an IR remote to control many functions (but with surprising exceptions that should have been included). This remote control leaves the USB port free. Cheap clones are available on eBay, and mine works just fine. The IR remote must be enabled in the camera menus, and the IR sensor is at the front of the camera (so it is blind to remotes placed behind the camera, unless reflected IR can reach the sensor). Enabling the IR sensor has side effects, including that the camera no longer goes to sleep if left unattended.

My reason to use the IR control is different. I don't use the camera in tethered mode, but need the USB port for an external AC power adapter or the USB trickle charger that comes with the camera. I also use a largish ordinary HD computer monitor connected to the HD output of the camera, mainly to confirm focus and framing but it also displays the picture just taken. Quite a bit of the monitor area is wasted in live view, mainly because of the sensor's aspect ratio, but that's life. At my age I don't feel like the small built-in LCD monitor suffices for very accurate focusing, even at maximum magnification. Surprisingly, the HD monitor does not display the focus highlighting that can be enabled on the LCD screen/viewfinder.

I don't know whether there are compatible commercial IR remote controls that accept a wired shutter trigger input, but this could be a way. It should also be possible, with some investigation, to modify an ordinary IR control by adding a trigger input that shorts the contacts of the button used to trigger the camera shutter (e.g. with a small relay or optoisolator). If the remote uses capacitive switches it gets more complicated, but it should still be doable.
--ES

anoldsole

Post by anoldsole »

Sony, in their infinite wisdom, only has one multi-port which is also the shutter trigger. The simplest, and maybe only, workaround is to use an IR trigger.
Since you have a stackshot and the IR remote you already have what you need to tether and trigger.

I have my computer tethered to the a7rii using CaptureOne. You can get a discounted version that only works with sony cameras for cheap. Turn IR remote ON and trigger with the IR remote connected to your stackshot.

I previously used a MJKZZ controller, but couldn't figure out a way to trigger the a7rii with it while tethered. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not savvy with electronics and rather than try and make a custom solution I bought a stackshot controller and their IR remote. Works like a charm.

Alnitak

Post by Alnitak »

I made a similar switch; I use Canon for most everything, but I got an A7RIII for my photomicrography work. The A7RIII has a USB-C port for connecting it to your computer and a smaller micro-USB port for connecting to the shutter trigger on a Stackshot or similar controller. I use the Sony-supplied "Imaging Edge" software to control the camera as I like to use the new pixel-shift feature to get better resolution and reduced noise, and it requires the software to stitch together the special composite images. Those can then be imported to Lightroom for the usual editing/export to Helicon Focus or Zerene.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I use the WeMacro rail and William recently released a remote shutter trigger for it. It's just the cheap Sony remote with a lead added to plug into the WeMacro controller. That frees up the USB port. I now tether to Capture One 11 (for Sony) via USB. It doesn't matter what triggers the camera shutter (remote on wemacro, you with the shutter button, or Capture One via the on-screen button), images are still pulled across and stored on the PC. Full live view too which is handy (even though I already have an Aputure HDMI remote monitor).

It sped up my workflow quite a bit too (no more importing images as a separate step after capturing all the frames).

Edit: forgot to mention I use A7rii (mostly) and A9 (sometimes)

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

anoldsole wrote: I previously used a MJKZZ controller, but couldn't figure out a way to trigger the a7rii with it while tethered. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not savvy with electronics and rather than try and make a custom solution I bought a stackshot controller and their IR remote. Works like a charm.
Ah, but there is a DIY way to use an IR remote specifically for your camera. Here is what I did back in 2014 Maybe I will write a blog about how to do it for those who just like to do it.

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

Thanks for the replies. I'm almost ready to make the (not inexpensive) change to Sony but have one more question.

Can the a7Riii take images for focus stacking in the field without a rail? The Sony PlayMemeories app doesn't work with the a7Riii so I suspect third-party gear/software will be needed, but I haven't been able to find any convincing discussions online. eg the CamFi wifi camera controller is mentioned and may be suitable - has anyone used this (or anything else) to automatically change focus for stacking?
Geoff

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Alnitak wrote: snip
The A7RIII has a USB-C port for connecting it to your computer and a smaller micro-USB port for connecting to the shutter trigger on a Stackshot or similar controller.
snip
Really? I did not see a micro-USB on the A7RIII I tested, or I could have used it for stacking. Are you sure, because this goes against my findings and several reviewers...though you may be right!?

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

Ray, the a7Riii has a micro USB2 as well as the 3.1 type-C USB (and a HDMI). It's the main reason why I'd pay the extra for the mark 3.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... r-iiiA.HTM
(about sixth pic down shows the ports)

Just wondering now if the camera can do automatic focus stepping (to obtain the stack to import into Zerene) before I pull the trigger.
Geoff

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

boomblurt wrote:Ray, the a7Riii has a micro USB2 as well as the 3.1 type-C USB (and a HDMI). It's the main reason why I'd pay the extra for the mark 3.

Just wondering now if the camera can do automatic focus stepping (to obtain the stack to import into Zerene) before I pull the trigger.
Hmm, there it is in the pic. If I had kept the camera I would have figured it out, but I ended up sending it back before I got that far...

Alnitak

Post by Alnitak »

boomblurt wrote:Ray, the a7Riii has a micro USB2 as well as the 3.1 type-C USB (and a HDMI). It's the main reason why I'd pay the extra for the mark 3.

I use a WeMacro rail, and the iPhone app. I'll set up a whole sequence of images and then tell it to run. The WeMacro app will trigger the shutter via a cable connected to the microUSB port, make its steps and then all of the images automatically download to my computer via the USB-C connection. From there it's a simple step to send them to Helicon Focus or Zerene since I use Lightroom on the computer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic