Any experiences with the Thorlabs 2x superapochromat?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:For your small sensor, might an MFT zoom be good?
Do not Know. I did not tried zoom lenses exept for dark room magnification like Nikon and Tominon.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The Moritex looks very interesting. Huge image circle, 62mm! I've asked them for a price.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:The Moritex looks very interesting. Huge image circle, 62mm! I've asked them for a price.
Few another for your collection of wanted lenses, Lou.

http://www.myutron.com/en/lens/machine-vision/lstl-h/

RobertOToole

Re: Any experiences with the Thorlabs 2x superapochromat?

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:FOVs between 6mm-12mm (around 1.4x-3x on an MFT sensor) are the most important range for my orchid work, and the most difficult range for high-quality optics. The Printing Nikkor and regular macro lenses cover lower magnifications, and microscope objectives cover the upper end of this range and beyond, but really good solutions at 2x are hard to find. ....

Minolta 5400 lens?

I just ran a big group of lenses at 2.1x and one of the very best was the Tominon 35mm (my third sample). Sharpness was about the same as the MP-E 65 but with a less CAs and LoCAs, and more consistent center to corner.

The Minolta was the sharpest and best corrected at that magnification.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, I am about to disassemble my Dimage scanner to get the lens. I think it will be great on a FF or APS sensor. But I don't think the Minolta is going to be the best solution on an MFT camera, because of diffraction. I need to push the envelope in order to make full use of the MFT hi-res 50-80Mp mode. I think the best solution for this will end up being an infinity-corrected compound lens.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Robert, I am about to disassemble my Dimage scanner to get the lens. I think it will be great on a FF or APS sensor. But I don't think the Minolta is going to be the best solution on an MFT camera, because of diffraction. I need to push the envelope in order to make full use of the MFT hi-res 50-80Mp mode. I think the best solution for this will end up being an infinity-corrected compound lens.
Yes, true, I see your point. I tend to think in terms of 28 to 42mm image circles.

The Minolta does great on a 3.92 micron pitch APS-C, that is a Olympus 20MP pixel sensor, 3.1-3.3 Micron?

Tiny pixels are a tough requirement. Almost all industrial lenses for 3.5 micron will only cover 2/3 sensor which wont get close to the MFT sensor.

Have you tried any of the scheider Xenoplan, APO Xenoplan, or Cinegons, the newer versions are for 3.5 micron but a tiny image circle, like half the size of a MFT sensor!

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, I've tries the Cinegon but the image circle is too small.

The challenge is even harder since I want resolution to be less than 2 microns, to support hi-res mode on these sensors.

I can do it with some monochrome photolithography lenses but would like to do it in color too. I just got an f/1.0 Repro-Nikkor whose aerial image under a 4x loupe looks perfect even wide open. I am eager to test it on a camera...

The 2.5x QV objective is pretty good but can't be pushed down much.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Lou,

Maybe my Linos MeVis-C lenses (I have the 16, 35 and 50mm) or some of my (apo) Xenoplans would fit your bill. As my system uses larger sensors and therefor pixels, what would be a good way of testing these for your needs? Any testing I might do may take some time as I have a slight backlog of interesting experiments..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic