Sony a7R II vs III

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That is a real defect of Sony's implementation of pixel-shifting. They force a longish delay between frames, while Olympus normally uses approximately zero delay (though you can select a delay if you need to recharge a flash). Delays bring the risk of slow drift ruining the alignment between shots, and I think this happens often with our extreme macro setups. Even 0.5s delay is rather too long.

Edit: I should add that I don't really know the Oly delay time, just that it is too short to easily notice.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Are we certain this is the delay between the (4?)pixel-shifted frames, and not between the groups of frames which are later combined to make one image? Why would anyone want to wait 30 seconds between pixel-shifted frames??
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The A7RIII I tested took ~3-4sec to shoot and download the 4 raw source files. I guess now it will take <2sec. When I did the testing I made sure there was no drift or vibration happening before I took the shot by viewing live at 100 or 200%. The only movement that could occur would be due to the camera itself, which is an unknown. I expect movement of the sensor may induce a little movement or vibration, which may be why they wait for things to settle.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Chris, yes, that is the time between shots. Long delays are needed if working with flash.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Lou Jost wrote:I hadn't though of that batch-processing problem. But I think one could make a simple work-around for that, using a macro recording program. Record the keystrokes needed to make the first conversion, and then play it back until done. Using this technique, anything can be batch-processed.
Never used such a program :? I didn't find anything about batch-processing pixel shift RAWs, but I guess a software should detect each 4 shifted frames and develop them in a batch just as with single shots...

The a7R III is tempting, but I hate to pay the abusive price of recently launched, fashionable latest model cameras :evil:
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Lou Jost wrote: Long delays are needed if working with flash.
Of course, thanks - brain fade! :oops:
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I've just tested the Pentax K1 for the first time. See:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic