Scitex 342L scanner for free (with one little condition...)

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Lou Jost wrote:Nobody in Philly wants to take me up on the offer to salvage these in return for half the goods?
I do, but can't as I'm in the UK now. Frustrating! I used to live not far from Philly - just a trip up the Sure-kill expressway from West Chester, PA. But it was ages ago and all my colleagues and friends from that time either moved out of state or I lost contact. So, although I tried, I couldn't find a proxy to get the job done either. Sigh...

Hope you manage to get them Lou. It's vicariously exciting, anticipating how the lenses will perform.

anoldsole

Post by anoldsole »

Is there a reason you aren't using a service like uship? I've shipped a lot of heavy stuff bought on ebay listed as local pickup only and used them to arrange LTL shipping. I think someone on the east coast could probably get them both picked up and shipped for a couple hundred.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The owner still seems willing to take it apart and send me the lenses, but I don't think he realizes how complicated it is....

I've also thought about hiring a truck and driver to bring it to Wisconsin, but I haven't a clue how much that would cost.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Added after seeing the last two comments:

Beatsy, thanks for the good wishes!

AnOldSole, I should look into that. Since I don't live in the US, I don't really know about that sort of thing.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I got the lenses. Nine Scitex lenses, a mix of Scitex-2 and Scitex-3 varieties. three each of:
67mm f/4.9 (m= 0.215//4.65),
89mm f/5.0 (m=0.376//2.65),
110mm f/5.0 (m=0.726//1.4)

Also eight 80mm f/5.6 Rodagons (m=0.346//2.9).

The first m is the magnification as used in the scanner and the magnification after the "//" symbol is the magnification if reversed.The 80mm lenses may be designed for black-and-white work. The Scitex lenses appear to be designed to cover a linear sensor that is 35mm long.

This data comes from
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... nses/page7
I have not yet tested them and these numbers might be off, depending on how the scanner operates

Ray Parkhurst found that even far from their designed magnification, some of these were competitive with (or even outperformed) the famous Nikkor 105mm apo enlarging lens, when oriented correctly (some tests were not oriented correctly initially):
http://www.macrocoins.com/100mm-lens-shootout.html

However, they are not fast lenses, and diffraction will limit them if they are reversed so that they magnify rather than reduce (which is what they are made for).

All are designed to shoot through thin glass on both image and object side.

I'll report some experiments eventually. I left the Scitex 2 lenses and one set of Scitex-3 lenses in the US to sell some day, so I will only be able to test one set of Scitex 3 lenses.

The scanner comes with a fat front-surface mirror as an added bonus. I'll play with that too. It may be useful to convert horizontal macro set-ups to photograph vertical subjects (like specimens in liquid).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic