www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Proboscis of a Flesh Fly
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Proboscis of a Flesh Fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Proboscis of a Flesh Fly Reply with quote

Just a quick reminder now barbie-season is almost upon us (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway). When you see a fly sat on your food, this is what he's dabbling in the stomach contents he sicked-up on it. Bon appetit! Very Happy
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice image!

This looks like the same structure that I explored in http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16216 , http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16257 , and the overview athttp://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16348 .

Do those look about right, at least as far as you can tell without seeing stereo?

--Rik

Edit: I just saw your other post at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37179 . So, a different sort of fly, but quite similar proboscis.
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik. Great set at the links you provided. The details on mine weren't as well defined as I'd hoped, so I didn't bother going in closer. Don't know if that was my photography or the proboscis itself. This was taken with a 20x Mitty on a 200mm tube lens and APS-C (and cropped) so I only had 50x left to go anyway. Having said that, a blowfly is nearly twice the size of a flesh fly, and this one has dried over a couple of days too, so those could be factors.

Sounds like you need more practice interpreting 2d images too Very Happy
Olympusman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Flesh Fly Reply with quote

Another nice stack, dude. I believe that we microscopists swim in a sea of experience and observation
unknown to the masses. A few years ago I had an exhibit of insect macros and all of the viewers had no idea what was living around them.
On another note, the diversity of mouth parts in Diptera is bewildering.
A moose, a mouse and a human all have pretty much the same mouth parts.

Mike
Deanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Proboscis of a Flesh Fly Reply with quote

Beatsy wrote:
Just a quick reminder now barbie-season is almost upon us (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway). When you see a fly sat on your food, this is what he's dabbling in the stomach contents he sicked-up on it. Bon appetit! Very Happy

H.R. Geiger never thought of anything like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: