Shield bug on pebble (Linoscan 1800 - 92mm lens)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Shield bug on pebble (Linoscan 1800 - 92mm lens)

Post by Beatsy »

Stack of 172 images with 100 micron spacing at 2.2x onto full frame. I used the 92mm f/7.1 lens from a Linoscan 1800, mounted on a Hoya 200mm prime (tube) lens. I included a few 100% crops to show the finer details and image quality. I'm very happy with the performance of this combo - and that concludes the task of plugging my "2x mag gap". Job done (except for comparative tests over the weekend - will post when done).

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Steve,

Nice :D

The ~2X range is what I'm struggling with for full frame coverage. Got below 2X covered and above 2X covered I believe, but not 2X yet.

Robert and you seem to have found some really good scanner lenses that properly adapted work well in this range.

Wish I could find one, so I'll keep looking :roll:

What are the details for the Hoya 200mm, not familiar with that lens.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Olympusman

Linoscan

Post by Olympusman »

Geez Beatsy, you are wringing everything you can out of that lens. I think we all have to look a cheaply available scanner and microfiche lenses.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Beatsy

Re: Linoscan

Post by Beatsy »

Olympusman wrote:Geez Beatsy, you are wringing everything you can out of that lens. I think we all have to look a cheaply available scanner and microfiche lenses.
Thanks Mike.

I have to thank Robert O'Toole for his recent testing and documentation of the Dimage Scan Elite 5400. It prompted me to put out a request at my camera club and, although I didn't get a 5400, I was given an "about to be thrown out" Scan Dual F-2400 instead. Just lucky that the (ridiculously) tiny lens turned out good. That, in turn, piqued my interest in a Heidelberg scanner mechanism that turned up on Ebay (with two big lenses in). I won that. The 97mm f/7.1 is a great macro lens as you can see (2.2x on a 200mm tube). The 115mm f/5.5 less so - working distance is not practical for my rig, and the little 2400 covers the lower mag range anyway. (The 115mm has a larger working distance than the 92mm, so gives less mag).

But I found a perfect alternative use for that 115mm! I'm waiting for something to turn up so I can finish it before "revealing all". It really is a smashing unexpected bonus (for me).

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Steve,

As a tube lens for your Mitty's :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote: As a tube lens for your Mitty's :D
Crikey! I never thought of that :shock:

I don't think they're suitable but I guess I should try. I really hope they don't work though as the 92mm is a macro lens now and the "mystery application" I have for the 115mm is way more desirable!

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Great detail, nice lighting. May I ask how you setup your lighting ?
Always looking at the bright side of life,
Kr, Rudi

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Rudi. The bug was surrounded (top, front and sides) by a cut-up studio-flash diffuser dome with a hole in front for the lens to look through. Background was a piece of flocking stuck to some card. This was simply lit with two Trond flat-panel LED lamps (so effectively double diffused).

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote: What are the details for the Hoya 200mm, not familiar with that lens.
Sorry for the late response Mike, I missed your post.

It's just a vanilla 200mm f/3.5 prime, M42 mount. I got it to bring these scanner lenses up to the required mag (treating as infinity corrected) and to keep the overall length and working distance reasonable.

It turned out to be great with my lower-power Mitties too (5x and 10x). I switched to 135mm tube lenses some time ago, and always felt I I got empty mag with the 200mm Sonnar I was using at the time (I gave that away - hence needing to buy another). But when I tried the Hoya with the Mitties - I was very surprised at how good quality and resolution is. Way better than I remember from the Sonnar 200mm. The Hoya covers full frame with perfect image quality to the edges and a slight, but easily correctable vignette in the corners (though there's a small uncorrectable nick out of the corners with the 5x). The 20x and 50x Mitties are oversampled IMO, so I'll continue to use 135mm with those (or 105mm on APS-C).

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Beatsy wrote:Thanks Rudi. The bug was surrounded (top, front and sides) by a cut-up studio-flash diffuser dome with a hole in front for the lens to look through. Background was a piece of flocking stuck to some card. This was simply lit with two Trond flat-panel LED lamps (so effectively double diffused).
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Always looking at the bright side of life,
Kr, Rudi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic