Which Oly scopes can be used with this epi illuminator?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Which Oly scopes can be used with this epi illuminator?

Post by Lou Jost »

I am trying to be able to use epi lighting, which is new to me. Can anyone help me determine which Olympus microscopes are compatible with this "universal" Oly epi-illuminator which I just bought on eBay?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nqYAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

One site says it goes with the BH2-KMA, but it is not clear whether other BH2 models will also work. Can it attach to non-BH2 models? Thanks very much in advance.

Of course, I should have asked this before I bought it....

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I daresay Alan will jump in, but does it have 180 marked on it?
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, it has a 180mm tube lens above the epi illuminator. I would probably remove it to use my own assortment of tube lenses for my cameras.

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Lou

It looks like a hybrid, part of a BH2-RLA Brightfield/Darkfield Vertical Illuminator plus part of a BH2-MA Brightfield Vertical Illuminator.

Details are in this brochure:
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf

It will fit the BHS and BHT BH-2 stands.

It will fit the BHA, BHB and BHC stands.

If there is nothing extending below the lower mount, it is probably possible to fit it to a BHTU BH-2 stand or to any of the CH and CH-2 stands.

The BH2-RLA is designed for both RMS brightfield objectives and 26mm brightfield/darkfield objectives. You cannot use 26mm objectives on the BHTU, BHB and BHC stands, or on the CH or CH-2 stands, because they have fixed RMS nosepieces.

The BH2-MA is designed for RMS brightfield objectives.

Alan Wood

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Many thanks Alan, I don't think I would have ever figured out all of that on my own. Your help is much appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic