www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Anemone hepatica + a bonus bug
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anemone hepatica + a bonus bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolsen

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Anemone hepatica + a bonus bug Reply with quote

I was shooting my first hepaticas of the season and got a little passenger too. Five image stack, Canon 6DmkII + Sigma 135 with 20mm extension. Not perfect but came out as a decent print.

Anemone hepatica by Rane Olsen, on Flickr

- Rane
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful. That Sigma 135 is a great lens by itself, and an even better tube lens for microscope objectives.
rolsen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou Jost wrote:
Very beautiful. That Sigma 135 is a great lens by itself, and an even better tube lens for microscope objectives.

Thanks Lou! Yes, Sigma 135/1.8 is an impressive piece of glass. I wonder the amount of adapter rings needed to get down to Mitu threads from 82mm though..or RMS threads even. I have just started my journey with microscope lenses, only have 4x AmScope and Lomo 3,7. Eventually this disease will lead into Mitu's and tube lenses for sure...

- Rane
mawyatt

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

Do you see any vignetting with a full frame sensor with the Sigma 135 as a tube with the Mitty 5X and 10X?

Best,
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I will have to check that. I don't have a full-frame sensor but I can shift my MFT sensor out to that distance diagonally and see if it vignettes.

Rane, the adaptors are easy. One 82-77 step down and one Kood 77-52mm step-down, which threads to any of my 52mm-objective thread step-down filters. The real problem with that lens is that it is heavy and lacks a tripod collar. I have sometimes mounted a tripod collar in the infinity space between objective and lens...in vertical set-ups that is not too bad.

The other problem with it is it's lack of a manual aperture ring or lever in the mount, unlike Sigma's earlier Art lenses for Nikon which at least had the stop-down lever. This isn't fatal since we normally don't stop down a tube lens.

It is my best tube lens. Really good.

Lou
mawyatt

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

I thought the Rokinon/Samyang 135mm would be a great tube because it was superbly sharp everywhere in the full frame (almost as good as the new Sigma Art), as I and later Steve found out, not so Crying or Very sad

Best,
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember those threads. It is very hard to figure out what makes a good tube lens.
mawyatt

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technical Evaluation Strategically Timed, AKA TEST Rolling Eyes

Best,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: