Paramecium caudatum

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

sushidelic

Paramecium caudatum

Post by sushidelic »

Olympus UPLANAPO 40x, U-DICT, 1/2000sec, no flash...

Best regards,
Michael

vasselle

Post by vasselle »

Magnifique
Microscope Leitz Laborlux K
Boitier EOS 1200d

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Wonderful photos!

How do you get 1/2000 sec with no flash in DIC with a 40X objective? It is very impressive.

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Very nice observation.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Beautiful, I'd like to repeat micro_pix's question
How do you get 1/2000 sec with no flash in DIC with a 40X objective? It is very impressive.
Only I was thinking "How the expletive do you get ..... etc". :shock: :D
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Hi and thanks for your answers!

As I do not have a flash adaption yet (biiiig thing on the wish list), I am forced to use the continuous light of the scope.
Here it was a BX50 with a U-LH100 lamp house, so 100W halogen.

For pond peeping pictures, I remove all filters (ND, LBD...) from the light path and set the illumination power to max. Color temperature is then compensated by white balancing the camera. The only "light loss" is the trinocular, as I still direct 20% of the light to the eyepieces and 80% to the cam.

I use a Nikon D800 for taking the pictures, on a U-SWTR-2 tube and project directly to the sensor, no projective used. Certainly this results in a vignetted image on a FF sensor, but more light is directed towards one pixel due to the smaller image spot.

DIC is set in a way that still a lot of light passes the filters (so not too close to "DF / crossed nicols", but DIC relief is still satisfying.

With all the above I am able to use continuous light, 40x and DIC with ISO ~1200/1600 and exposure times of 1/1000 - 1/2000 seconds.
This is needed in two regards - freezing the specimen, cilia etc. AND to prevent the earthquake like mirror shock of the D800 when used without exposure delay.

Hope this helps and best regards,
Michael

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks for the explanation. I use a BH2 BHS so I do have the 100w halogen but I do use the projection eyepiece. I must admit I haven’t used the high asa settings as I thought there would be too much noise but I’ll give that a try.

David

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

My thanks too Michael. You are lucky to have the combination of a really powerful light source and a camera with an excellent high ISO performance. Great work, and proves it is possible to get this kind of image without flash.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Robert Berdan

Nice DIC paramecium Photos

Post by Robert Berdan »

Beautiful pictures. To reduce vibration on your D800 you might try using Live View and Digicam control link to a PC - the software is free. I also take pictures at high ISO speeds and reduce the grain considerably using Adobe Camera Raw by reducing luminance noise and I get good results up to ISO 6400 on my D800 and D500. I also use a 100W Halogen light source.

I am experimenting with setting up a flash on my Axioscope using a beam splitter. The problem is I only get about 50% of the Flash or less to the speciment and there is no room to place the flash below the condensor so a beam splitter seems like the only way I can do this. If Nikon had an Automatic flash that would sit flat on top of the light source that might work better, but then I couldn't see what I am photographing. I am working on a solution hope to have it figured out in a few weeks.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Nice DIC paramecium Photos

Post by Pau »

Robert Berdan wrote: I am experimenting with setting up a flash on my Axioscope using a beam splitter...
Did you see?
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=161563
Pau

hkv

Post by hkv »

Beautiful shots!

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Nice!!!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Very nice images Michael.