Anemone hepatica + a bonus bug

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rolsen

Anemone hepatica + a bonus bug

Post by rolsen »

I was shooting my first hepaticas of the season and got a little passenger too. Five image stack, Canon 6DmkII + Sigma 135 with 20mm extension. Not perfect but came out as a decent print.

ImageAnemone hepatica by Rane Olsen, on Flickr

- Rane

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very beautiful. That Sigma 135 is a great lens by itself, and an even better tube lens for microscope objectives.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Lou Jost wrote:Very beautiful. That Sigma 135 is a great lens by itself, and an even better tube lens for microscope objectives.
Thanks Lou! Yes, Sigma 135/1.8 is an impressive piece of glass. I wonder the amount of adapter rings needed to get down to Mitu threads from 82mm though..or RMS threads even. I have just started my journey with microscope lenses, only have 4x AmScope and Lomo 3,7. Eventually this disease will lead into Mitu's and tube lenses for sure...

- Rane

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou,

Do you see any vignetting with a full frame sensor with the Sigma 135 as a tube with the Mitty 5X and 10X?

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Mike, I will have to check that. I don't have a full-frame sensor but I can shift my MFT sensor out to that distance diagonally and see if it vignettes.

Rane, the adaptors are easy. One 82-77 step down and one Kood 77-52mm step-down, which threads to any of my 52mm-objective thread step-down filters. The real problem with that lens is that it is heavy and lacks a tripod collar. I have sometimes mounted a tripod collar in the infinity space between objective and lens...in vertical set-ups that is not too bad.

The other problem with it is it's lack of a manual aperture ring or lever in the mount, unlike Sigma's earlier Art lenses for Nikon which at least had the stop-down lever. This isn't fatal since we normally don't stop down a tube lens.

It is my best tube lens. Really good.

Lou

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou,

I thought the Rokinon/Samyang 135mm would be a great tube because it was superbly sharp everywhere in the full frame (almost as good as the new Sigma Art), as I and later Steve found out, not so :cry:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, I remember those threads. It is very hard to figure out what makes a good tube lens.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Technical Evaluation Strategically Timed, AKA TEST :roll:

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic