www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - A better method to get live insects to hold still
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A better method to get live insects to hold still
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anvancy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So mainly this option is for quick stacking methods. Not for studio stacking where lot of photos has to be taken? Or the insect will be knocked out completely if exposed for long in the gas chamber?

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that there are some very fast stacking methods, especially methods that refocus camera lenses rather than moving a rail. 150 shots per minute are normal, and thousands per minute would be possible if there were a big enough buffer to store the files and a fast enough transfer speed to the place they are written. This works easily at up to 1x (or 2x with front or back converter) and higher m can be obtained by stacking or reversing lenses. Fast shallow high-m stacks can be done this way with microscope objectives on autofocus tube lenses.
Deanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou Jost wrote:
Keep in mind that there are some very fast stacking methods, especially methods that refocus camera lenses rather than moving a rail. 150 shots per minute are normal, and thousands per minute would be possible if there were a big enough buffer to store the files and a fast enough transfer speed to the place they are written. This works easily at up to 1x (or 2x with front or back converter) and higher m can be obtained by stacking or reversing lenses. Fast shallow high-m stacks can be done this way with microscope objectives on autofocus tube lenses.

This is true, even for amateurs.

I use DSLR Controller for stacking when I'm using my Tokina 100mm macro. When I was using flash, I had to add a delay between the exposures for fear that I'd cook my good Sigma flash.

I never tried to stack a live subject, but I'm confident that using the Alka Seltzer method, I could (with continuous lighting) get a useful stack before the subject became too active.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a fast 150 image stack of a live frog-mimic spider a few weeks ago, and I will post it on a new thread.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the spider using fast in-camera stack generation:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215924#215924
MarkSturtevant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anvancy wrote:
So mainly this option is for quick stacking methods. Not for studio stacking where lot of photos has to be taken? Or the insect will be knocked out completely if exposed for long in the gas chamber?

I suspect this is not suitable for stacking, but for taking single pictures. By holding still, I don't mean they are motionless. The bugs I have done this to still move around. But they are not running or flying.
lothman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be another source for CO2 are those small dust blaster guns feed by CO2 Cartridges availabele in the supermarket

https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Removing-gram-CO-2-Cartridges/dp/B017C8BOX4

I use them for cleaning my camera and lenses. I will try them on insects - thanks for that hint.
GrayPlayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbermaid makes containers with a separate "tray" inside that should work for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: