Just moths for ID.

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Just moths for ID.

Post by ChrisR »

For ID, not exhibition, following up on Overread's post.
Taken in grab mode, mostly:

I'm only a fluttering mothist. The same author (Waring et al)'s not-field-guide is also good and their Micro Moths book. I like Manley's British Moths, full of photographs.
They tend to fly in my open wndow this time of year as the light's on all night while I develop an H imprint on my nose.

These are also "for id"; pretty poor quality, not as good as yours!

This one was sitting on the arm of my chair until I moved it a moment ago, trembling the way thay do which makes stacking impossible:

These are queued on the window - arms's length, balancing..: ?? and maybe an apple moth:

This one is a gold triangle. A short out-of order stack in Photoshop: PS's stacking is poor but it doesn't mind the order.

This I don't know
Chris R

JKT

Post by JKT »

The large one in the second picture is Noctua pronuba ... and the small one is something else than Epiphyas postvittana. I've seen it in pictures, but just can't remember what it was.

The last one is likely Epirrhoe alternata ... or some other species in that genus.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Just moths for ID.

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:PS's stacking is poor but it doesn't mind the order.
Zerene Stacker's PMax doesn't mind order either, as long as it's not so serious as to mess up the alignment.

Also the current version of Zerene Stacker has a new function, “Re-order input files > “Sort by Scale”, that can put images into correct order with most lenses. To use it, you first align the images to determine relative scale, then do the re-order, then align & stack again.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Oh I thought the Pmax "Pyramid" relied on the order.

Out-of-order is what my Panasonic produces in focus-bracket mode. It focuses on each of the grid of focus points top left to bottom right, which needs sorting.

That "little one"; I can suggest where you've seen it, it's on the front cover of "Field Guide to the micro moths of Great Britain" :lol: ! isbn 9780956490223

I hadn't realised - I'll find it.
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:Oh I thought the Pmax "Pyramid" relied on the order.
No, the pyramid is within each frame: full resolution, then half-resolution, quarter-resolution, and so on down to a single average of the whole frame. The processing across frames is only to accumulate some simple statistics, mostly largest absolute value of corresponding pyramid cells.

--Rik

JKT

Post by JKT »

So you'll likely find it IN the book as well. :wink:

The first one is a real dilemma. I'd have thought it would be easy, but the only ones that seem to roughly fit are in genus Luperina. Yet I'm not entirely happy with any of them.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The micro then is Peleopodidae, Carcina quercana. There are variations in the light patches behind the head, between the cover illustration, that inside the book, and my find.

Despite having the books, I like many find most moths difficult. I've never seen a useful key for moths.
Chris R

Len Willan

Post by Len Willan »

Some well known Moth sites for identifications
British Moths UK Moths
http://ukmoths.org.uk/thumbnails/
Europe
Lepiforum: Bestimmung von Schmetterlingen
http://www.lepiforum.de/
North America
Moth photographers Group
http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/Plates.shtml