2X Test; Minolta Scan 5400 vs Rodenstock 75mm f/4.5 APO 2x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

2X Test; Minolta Scan 5400 vs Rodenstock 75mm f/4.5 APO 2x

Post by RobertOToole »

After promising myself to never run a big multi lens test again, I did. This time 7 lenses at 2x. The test started out as just two lenses and somehow grew to include:

Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner Lens
Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II Scanner Lens
Nikon Scanner Nikkor ED 7 Element Scanner Lens
Canon 35MM f/2.8 Macrophoto Lens
Rodenstock 75mm F/4.5 APO Rodagon D 2X Lens
Optikos Teradyne 106mm f/2 Inspection Lens
Canon-MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens

Setup
Camera: Sony A6300, model # ILCE-6300
Sensor size: 23.5 × 15.6 mm. APS-C. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

A series of images was shot with each lens in 10 micron steps, and the sharpest image was chosen for center, edge, and corner Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view. All images were shot as a single RAW files and processed in PS CC with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All of the images shown here are single files.

Test target

This test is being broken up into sections for clarity. I am posting the lenses here in worst to best order so here are the Rodenstock crops up first.

Rodenstock 75mm F/4.5 APO Rodagon D 2X Lens vs Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner Lens

This Rodenstock lens was shot in retro or reverse with a rodenstock reverse ring at f/4.5.

To view any of the images in a larger size just click on any of these to open in a new window but the size depends on your browser to open at 1500px, right click on PC or two finger click on a Mac and choose open in a new Tab or new Window.

Center

Edge

Corner

Out of all the 7 lenses this Rodestock was the weakest in image quality. It has the most CAs out of any of the 7 even though it claims to be an APO, maybe at 0.5x pointing forwards it might better? This lens is made for larger sensors with large pixels so I think its just a bad match for the Sony. After seeing the performance here, I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for the lens.

Up next: Canon-MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens vs Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner Lens

More details and the complete test can be found on my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test

Questions comments welcome.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This is a fascinating test, so glad you broke your promise!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:This is a fascinating test, so glad you broke your promise!
Thanks, glad you found it interesting.

Started just comparing the two Minoltas, the 5400 and the 5400II but the performance was so good at 2x I couldn't resist not throwing some other lenses on the stand, even my favorite at 2-3x, the Canon MP-35!

I have even tried up to 2.6x and the results look similar.

The Minolta 5400 really surprised me honestly, it doesn't look impressive at all but minolta managed to get a flexible mag range, super CA control and great sharpness from 1-2.6x from that tiny little lens.

What kind of super ultra extra special glass is in that thing?

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It is nice to hear it's good all the way up to 2.6x. I'm eager to test it on MFT, with its higher density of pixels. Will CA be detected by the smaller pixels? Hope not!

Meanwhile yesterday I found an amazing contender for 2x on MFT. I hope to post it tonight.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:...
Meanwhile yesterday I found an amazing contender for 2x on MFT. I hope to post it tonight.
Hope I own one :D

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think you own at least one of everything.... :D
Last edited by Lou Jost on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Unfortunately my find only covers MFT (at 2x).

SURF

Post by SURF »

Thanks for the tests, Robert! They are very interesting.

All that makes me think that Rodenstock 75mm F/4.5 APO Rodagon D (both x1 and x2) has no much in common with Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm F5.6 which is CA free.

Perhaps Rodagon D will act better when not wide open. Anyway looks like Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner has a great lens.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

SURF wrote:Thanks for the tests, Robert! They are very interesting.

All that makes me think that Rodenstock 75mm F/4.5 APO Rodagon D (both x1 and x2) has no much in common with Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm F5.6 which is CA free.

Perhaps Rodagon D will act better when not wide open. Anyway looks like Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner has a great lens.
Yes true, the magnagons have very clean image quality. I have the 75/3.5 iris and the 75/5.6 non iris versions. The 75/3.5 has a aperture gear.

Since you had so much info on the scitex lenses do you know the magnification either of these was designed for?

Also have the 80/5.6 scanner lens that look to be free of CAs.

Plan to test all of the above in the next month or so.

Best,

Robert

SURF

Post by SURF »

RobertOToole wrote:Since you had so much info on the scitex lenses do you know the magnification either of these was designed for?
Not that much, but I know the magnifications used in Smart 34X(L) scanners:

Rodenstock lenses used in Scitex Smart 340, Smart 342, Smart 340L, Smart 342L scanners:

Rogonar-S 5.6/60 for scanning A3, A4, 8x10". Optical magnification 0.111.
Scitex S-3 4.9/67 for scanning 4x5". Optical magnification 0.215.
Scitex S-3 5.0/89 for scanning 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x9cm. Optical magnification 0.376.
Scitex S-3 5.0/110 for scanning 35mm. Optical magnification 0.726.
Rodagon 5.6/80 for scanning 10cm stripes LW. Optical magnification 0.346.

(Taken from here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... nses/page7

And I have to recheck 80mm f5.6 lenses. I found them sharp, but not CA free. May be better focusing will tell.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

SURF wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:Since you had so much info on the scitex lenses do you know the magnification either of these was designed for?
Not that much, but I know the magnifications used in Smart 34X(L) scanners:

Rodenstock lenses used in Scitex Smart 340, Smart 342, Smart 340L, Smart 342L scanners:

Rogonar-S 5.6/60 for scanning A3, A4, 8x10". Optical magnification 0.111.
Scitex S-3 4.9/67 for scanning 4x5". Optical magnification 0.215.
Scitex S-3 5.0/89 for scanning 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x9cm. Optical magnification 0.376.
Scitex S-3 5.0/110 for scanning 35mm. Optical magnification 0.726.
Rodagon 5.6/80 for scanning 10cm stripes LW. Optical magnification 0.346.

(Taken from here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... nses/page7

And I have to recheck 80mm f5.6 lenses. I found them sharp, but not CA free. May be better focusing will tell.
For sure the 80/5.6 is not CA free. It is based on the enlarging lens, which is a very good lens but is an achromat.

Note the 75ARD1 and 75ARD2 are also both achromats as well. Decent achromats, but still not true apochromats.

Question...are the magnifications you quote in "forward" orientation, with the mounting end toward the sensor, or "reverse", or a mix?

Edited to add:

Another "for sure" is the 75mm Magnagon is not the same lens as the 75ARD1. It is closer to the 75ARD2 but still not the same. I don't know where this myth originated.

Or, maybe there are other versions of the Magnagon that were based on the 75ARD1/75ARD2? The Magnagons I have are Linos branded, so relatively new.

SURF

Post by SURF »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Question...are the magnifications you quote in "forward" orientation, with the mounting end toward the sensor, or "reverse", or a mix?
Lenses in the scanner are "forward" orientation, with the mounting end toward the sensor.

Except Scitex S-3 5.0/110 which used to install both ways. The recommendation was to choose orientation that gives better resolution. I saw the difference, but it was not night and day.

I remember the myth of Magnagon vs 75ARD originated from assumption. There were no proof.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic