Ultrasonic Cleaner

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by mawyatt »

Any recommendations for a cheap Ultrasonic Cleaner useful for cleaning chips and other small objects? See some on Amazon/Ebay that have liquid heating capability, is this a useful feature?

Thanks,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

lothman

Post by lothman »

yes I strongly recommend using heated water, the cleaning ability is strongly increased if heated. Of course if you do small single jobs you can just fill in boiling water and clean as long as the water is still hot.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Higher temp water would encourage gas bubble formation. I believe it's when the bubbles collapse that the cleaning occurs.

Shower pumps "cavitate" if the water's too hot.
I wonder if ships' propellers are more inclined to do it in tropical seas ..
Chris R

harisA

Post by harisA »

I'm using one of these to clean wafers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EU-US-Ultrason ... SwEzxYQTLK

It's doing a good jod but sometimes a second cleaning round is necessary.I always rinse using distilled water.

siliconGary

Post by siliconGary »

I clean die in a small beaker of acetone sitting in a warm water bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. I think any of the cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaners will work well. (Make sure you buy one for the correct voltage - my first one I bought on eBay was set for UK voltage, and was not adaptable).

siliconGary

Post by siliconGary »

Also forgot to add - specific heating function is not really useful IMO. I find cleaning die for ~3 mins is sufficient, no benefit to running longer. It is not difficult to externally warm bath water.
A good nozzle for an air compressor to blow dry the die is worthwhile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic