www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Cheap, long Arca rail extrusions
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cheap, long Arca rail extrusions

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ray_parkhurst



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 1294
Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Cheap, long Arca rail extrusions Reply with quote

Anyone know of a cheap source for long (400mm and longer) arca rail stock? I'd be interested in just the extrusions, no machining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dickb



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across an old post of genera on using 80/20 extrusions, 1.5" wide profiles with grooves, as a makeshift arca rail:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95250&sid=80fc85d97e7bbf6a20cfe8f8b097e274

https://8020.net/shop/1515-lite.html

Not the nicest solution, but depending on your project it may work. Otherwise ebay has some 40cm rails, but I'm sure you are aware of those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ray_parkhurst



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 1294
Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good link and info.

The 400mm ebay rails are pretty expensive (even the cheapest ones), and I don't really need or want any of the machining. Just need edge grooves. I wonder if most rails are machined from solid or extruded? I assumed extruded but the dearth of available extrusions may mean all arca rails are machined.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lothman



Joined: 14 Feb 2009
Posts: 321
Location: Stuttgart/Germany

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like this picantinny rails?

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/picatinny-extrusion-prod27101.aspx

or Igus drylin rails
https://www.igus.de/drylin/linearfuehrung
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joeD



Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 1
Location: Spain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,maybe this ?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/PU480-lengthened-Double-QR-Quick-Release-Plate-Dual-Dovetail-for-Tripod-BallHead/112028326746?hash=item1a15689b5a:g:YrgAAOSwnNBXYRnB
i bouhgt one and i'm prettyhappy with it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dickb



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray_parkhurst wrote:
I wonder if most rails are machined from solid or extruded? I assumed extruded but the dearth of available extrusions may mean all arca rails are machined.


Most rails seem machined to me, some with many large holes to keep weight and amount of material used to a minimum.

The PU480 rail looks interesting. I doubt the drylin rails will be a great Arca substitute, with their 35mm wide track with 5mm square edges. My guess is the 4mm deep arca clamp won't get a good secure grip, but I haven't tried it myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjlittlefield
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Aug 2006
Posts: 18921
Location: Richland, Washington State, USA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeD wrote:
Hi ,maybe this ?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/PU480-lengthened-Double-QR-Quick-Release-Plate-Dual-Dovetail-for-Tripod-BallHead/112028326746?hash=item1a15689b5a:g:YrgAAOSwnNBXYRnB
i bouhgt one and i'm prettyhappy with it

In U.S. eBay, this looks to be https://www.ebay.com/itm/480mm-Double-QR-Quick-Release-Plate-Dual-Dovetail-Camera-bracket-mount/252429194163 .

Searching for "PU480" finds several others.

--Rik
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ray_parkhurst



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 1294
Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I had not seen the 480mm rail with double QR before. That is interesting and gives some flexibility, and is cheaper than any of the 400mm rails. I'll need to look into the picatinny dimensions and such to see if it would work out. I see picatinny rails used for firearms accessory mounting but had not considered them for photography. Interestingly some of the longer arca rails are being advertised for firearms as an alternative QR system. You use what you can get I suppose!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dickb



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the jaceelectronics2013 rail and they sent me a single dovetailed rail. They claim they don't have the double dovetailed ones (anymore?) So doublecheck with the seller, even when the title of the auction, the description and the photos all mention or show doubledovetailed rails...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enricosavazzi



Joined: 21 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
I bought the jaceelectronics2013 rail and they sent me a single dovetailed rail. They claim they don't have the double dovetailed ones (anymore?) So doublecheck with the seller, even when the title of the auction, the description and the photos all mention or show doubledovetailed rails...

I wonder if the "double" in the item description refers to the two clamps, rather than to double dovetail, and that the latter has just one groove on each side and never was a double rail. If so, it is not a correct or unequivocal item description, but I have seen worse.

I have a shorter one of the same type, and the (single dovetail) rail works reasonably well with my third-party "Arca" clamps. The clamps that came with the rail are instead the cheapest possible ones, with the rubber coating on the knobs loose and easily coming off (and the obligatory inset compasses added just because they could).
_________________
--ES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dickb



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enricosavazzi wrote:
dickb wrote:
I bought the jaceelectronics2013 rail and they sent me a single dovetailed rail. They claim they don't have the double dovetailed ones (anymore?) So doublecheck with the seller, even when the title of the auction, the description and the photos all mention or show doubledovetailed rails...

I wonder if the "double" in the item description refers to the two clamps, rather than to double dovetail, and that the latter has just one groove on each side and never was a double rail. If so, it is not a correct or unequivocal item description, but I have seen worse.


Well, the title of the item I bought was:

PU480 lengthened Double QR Quick Release Plate Dual Dovetail for Tripod BallHead

That doesn't leave much room for your interpretation as I see it. So does showing photos of a dual dovetail rail and sending a single dovetail rail.

enricosavazzi wrote:
I have a shorter one of the same type, and the (single dovetail) rail works reasonably well with my third-party "Arca" clamps. The clamps that came with the rail are instead the cheapest possible ones, with the rubber coating on the knobs loose and easily coming off (and the obligatory inset compasses added just because they could).


The clamps on my rail are actually rather decent, all metal knobs and bubble levels rather than silly compasses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enricosavazzi



Joined: 21 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Well, the title of the item I bought was:

PU480 lengthened Double QR Quick Release Plate Dual Dovetail for Tripod BallHead

That doesn't leave much room for your interpretation as I see it. So does showing photos of a dual dovetail rail and sending a single dovetail rail.

I agree, "Double QR" may mean different things, but "Dual Dovetail" leaves little wiggling room for interpretations. Laughing
_________________
--ES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ray_parkhurst



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 1294
Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my two rails ordered from taiheshop on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/480mm-Double-QR-Quick-Release-Plate-Dual-Dovetail-Camera-bracket-mount/252429194163?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Indeed the last pic in the listing shows a dual dovetail rail, but the actual rail shipped is only single dovetail. The clamps are not bad quality, with decent levels and knurled aluminum knobs. For my purposes these will work fine, but it does irk me a bit they are not as advertised.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group