Been given a rather peculiar microscope

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

xsense

Been given a rather peculiar microscope

Post by xsense »

Hi all,

I have the chance to take over a rather special microscope intended for wafer inspection. Its something of a beast. Nikon trinocular head, 4 plan apo objectives ranging from 20 to 100x magnification, and full stepper motor automation in x,y and focus. It is setup to accept silicon wafers and is reflective only. The light source comes from a tube from the side and goes through the objective, I guess this is köhler illumation?

The "problem" is that I don't really have a use for a microscope this size. At first I considered trying to do photography with it or try to learn more about image processing by automating taking pictures for focus stacking but Im not sure I have the time for this. Needless to say, I really can't accept it just for selling it, the main reason Im getting it is the current owner does not want it to be sold.

So my question is, what uses can i have for this microscope? Is Reflective photograpy with a 1000x magnification going to give me useful images?

I do have a use for a more modest microscope since im into electronics but apart from that what would you do with it?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Impossible to let you advice...maybe I can make some comments on its utility (I would go for it for sure...but our situation is different)
- aside wafers it will be very indicated for metallographic work: Coin details, metal defects and similar applications
- if the objectives have enough free working distance (WD marked in new style Nikon objectives but not in older ones) it will be EXCELLENT for high magnification "macro" focus stacking of tridimensional small subjects like insects, plant details...
- likely with the 20X objective it will work well with biological slides with lateral diffused illumination. Because the objectives will be corrected for no cover glass, high magnification ones will deliver poor images with glass covered specimens
- the 100X objective will be too high for most specimens but you can find its utility

Pictures and more details about the equipment (objectives, focusing range, illumination techniques available...) will be needed for more precise comments
Pau

xsense

Post by xsense »

Thats exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks! I think I can answer some of your questions at least:

They are mitutoyo long distance objectives. The least powerful was a 2x not 20x.
1. m plan apo 2x
2. m plan apo nir 100x na: 0.50 f 200
3. m plan apo nir 20x
4. m plan apo (nir??) with unknown magnification, probably 10x

Im guessing that the focusing depth is something like 100 mm but im not at all sure. There is only one type of illumination as far as i can tell and that is through the tube into the head and down through the objective. I don't have any pictures at the moment.

Edit:

I'm not really looking for advice as to take it or not I just want more information about what uses it might have. That really helps in my decision making. Since you seem convinced I was right about this being a really good microscope for focus stacking Im starting to think im stupid if i don't at least try.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

This may be interesting
http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/ ... ives/1950/

It may be a Nikon microscope with adapters - fine.
You have a fine set of lenses for imaging solid things, the particular feature of the objectives is that they're LONG working distance, and designed to be used without coverslips. You would be able to get fingers under them - ie plenty for easy lighting, other than the "epi" lighting it has, down the tube.

That's wonderful for a huge range of subjects.

NIR means Near Infra Red. Others will tell you more than I can about what they were really intended for, but they work over the whole visible spectrum too, so no big deal (extra).
Some (eg the 100x ) aren't the highest NA, so not the highest resolution possible, but more than excellent enough to make super images.

Yes, I thnk it's VERY safe to say that as you put it,
"you're stupid if you don't at least try" :D

"Enjoy"!
Chris R

xsense

Post by xsense »

FWIW I accepted it and its rather awesome actually. I have not yet refurbished it 100%, the motorized stage has some glitches and the 100x objective needs some cleaning. But it was awesome to see a strand of my hair (~50 µm) covering almost a third of the fov. The camera I have is an old nikon d70 that has no liveview support and no way to disable the mirror so that needs upgrading.

Would be happy for any suggestions of a cheap (max $200, edit:used) camera, that is suitable. I think live view is a must since I want to be able to click on an area of the image, zoom in on it, select focus range and number of steps to stack etc.

Should I document the process? will be integrating it with a raspberry pi or computer and write some software. ( im an engineer)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Congrats for your nice beast
max $200, edit:used
A Canon EOS of the following series would fit (and it will provide live view and camera control from the computer via USB)
- 1000D and upwards (not 100% sure but almost)
- 450D and upwards
- 40D and 50D
- 7D
Pau

Olympusman

Beast microscope

Post by Olympusman »

This scope uses epi-illumination (axial illumination) and has limited use. I have been using an epi-illumination scope for some time to shoot integrated circuits (computer chips). The trick is exposing the chips. You can find out how to expose the chips in my article at https://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ar ... ng-ICs.pdf
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

xsense

Post by xsense »

I wouldnt have much use of a more regular microscope tbh. With this I can inspect optical components like diffraction gratings, take really interesting pictures of everyday objects with almost no preparation and just get lost in alien worlds :). Ive found it to be very rewarding. And a tad bizarre at the highest magnification.

It was very cool when I was looking at a dlp projector chip the other day and a transparent circular blob appeared. A black dot in the middle and about to swallow a black speck of some sort. Couldnt find it a moment later so not 100% sure but felt cool! Examining a sanded down rock through the 100x is tricky, seems like phenomena at that magnification tricks the eye into believing it sees structures that sort of defies logic.

I use a small c-mount camera through one of the eyepiece tubes at the moment. With the ocular removed. I feel that the clarity of the pictures is lacking compared to what I see through the eyepieces but otherwise it seems to work ok. I use the cellphone for controling the camera so i have no control of exposure etc which is annoying. Going to borrow a canon 5d camera from a friend, hoping to get a feel for what optics, extension tubes and camera sensor size is ideal. Any thoughts highly appreciated!

The motorized stage is handy for stacking and stitching. Image

xsense

Post by xsense »

Oh and from what Ive understood its a wenthworth labs wafer prober mp0950 with a nikon optiphot trinocular T head. The optics are as above with adapters for the infinity correction (i presume). Im missing the original phototube. Instead pieces of nikon lens parts where used as an extension tube together with an unidentified single lens at the bottom of the tube.

Im thinking of replacing it with a canon macro bellow instead, but im not sure about what optics would be ideal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic