New to Micro, need advice

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jwcollect

New to Micro, need advice

Post by Jwcollect »

Hi,

I have a Nikon 10x Plan Achromat Infinity Objective attached to the from of my Nikon D600 and a 70-200mm telephoto lenses and I'm having trouble focusing.

I know I may get some vignetting but will this setup work?
Do I need to be right on top of the subject?
Any special setting I need on the camera our lenses?

Thank you

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, this should work. Vignetting will be minimized, and the objective will give its rated magnification, when the telephoto is set to 200 mm. The telephoto should be focused at infinity and set to shoot at its widest aperture. The focused subject will be just a few mm in front of the objective. If the objective has some notation like "WD 10.5", then that means "working distance 10.5 mm", and that will be the distance from tip of the objective to the focused subject.

--Rik

Jwcollect

Post by Jwcollect »

Thanks Rik. Just looked, yes it does have a the 10.5mm working distance.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: New to Micro, need advice

Post by Pau »

Jwcollect wrote:...and I'm having trouble focusing.
What kind of trouble?

Be aware that the depth of focus is really small and because the small effective aperture you need lots of light. Both factors make focusing with the optical viewfinder somewhat difficult, with a steady setup and good illumination it's easier and also it is with camera live view image. Of course as Rik said set the camera to M at its widest aperture and disable AF. Focusing is done changing in small steps the distance between the subject and the objective tip.
Pau

Jwcollect

Post by Jwcollect »

Thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic