New stacking application, images for testing needed

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

alexanderb

New stacking application, images for testing needed

Post by alexanderb »

Hello forum! Our small indie software studio is about to release a new automatic focus stacking app and we are looking for stacking source images, the real practical examples, to add to our test database.

Our goal is to create an app that will give good results without any manual intervention/settings in most cases.

The app will be initially released on the Mac app store, at the moment it will be a Mac only release.

If you are interested to contribute some stacks for testing please contact me here on forum or by mail:

sasha@boltnev.com

Thank you in advance,
Alexander.

concon

Post by concon »

Odd request. You should be able to find an affordable rail to gather your own source images. If your requesting free images for a paid app then you're being a bit one sided. I'm only assuming you'd want to be paid for your time though.

alexanderb

Post by alexanderb »

Hi, although we have our own kit and sample image base, the real "outside world" images, especially ones those are tricky to process, are very useful for better testing, hence the request. I do not ask for taking some specific stacks, anything that you may already have on your disk will do. For the effort of sharing the stack on Drop Box or e-mail I'll send you a redeem code once app is released to the app store. Images will be used only for fine-tuning our algorithm only.

Thank you,
Alexander.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think it is a very reasonable request for a developer to want real-world stacks to refine algorithms. Our community benefits from this as some of us will be future users of the software.

The uncomfortable part, which the poster may not know, is that this forum is run and paid for by a software developer who wrote and maintains a potentially competing application. I don't know how Rik would feel about this.

concon

Post by concon »

I suppose I'm jaded from similar requests in my industry. I find that many people want without thinking they need to give back. I see the entitlement seep into requests- What one person is working on is worth more than the efforts of another. I'm sure we all get barraged with requests to use imagery without licensing fees on books, magazines, blog posts, etc- with these same sources profiting through ad revenue and merchandise.

I wish you luck on your journey and application!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I on the other hand am impressed by the reverse--- so many people on forums like this offer valuable advice just for the betterment of the community, without expectation of personal gain. Of course the business world runs on a different paradigm.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

concon wrote:Odd request. You should be able to find an affordable rail to gather your own source images. If your requesting free images for a paid app then you're being a bit one sided. I'm only assuming you'd want to be paid for your time though.
Software development skill isn't synonymous with photographic skill.

They might be great coders and lousy photographers.

Codewise, for a proof of concept, it probably makes MUCH more sense to initially process somebody else's properly done stacks than to purchase a stacking rig AND learn how to use it.

I've been shooting macro for several years, but having JUST purchased a Wemacro, I'm a neophyte when it comes to this level of macrophotography.

Sir Hiram Maxim didn't load his own ammunition when he invented the automatic machine gun. He got it from Her Majesty's government. Nobody thinks that was cheating.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lou Jost wrote:I don't know how Rik would feel about this.
I have no problem with this. We have a strong policy of neutrality at photomacrography.net. Improvements to the technology are always welcomed.

Alexander, the "potentially competing application" that Lou refers to is Zerene Stacker. I'm the author of that application, as well as (obviously) a frequent poster here at photomacrography.net .

--Rik

concon

Post by concon »

Understandable points (I'm a software engineer for my main job so I'm more than aware that the two skills are very different...granted I taught myself both and get paid for both)- I shoot for pleasure and business so I often see other parties using marketing techniques to make it look like they are doing you a favor- "We'll give you exposure"... while we get ad revnue and monetary value from your work which you spent hours on :twisted:

I can neither agree nor disagree with the gun/bullet example. I doubt he got the bullets for free or without some contract that HEAVILY benefited both of them for a lifetime, but I have no idea. I could go back and forth on the philosophy for days; however, great partnerships are often created this way! Two differing skills coming together for a common goal.

This is my opinion though, anyone who wishes to push for progress is more than welcome to send images. If you're not charging then I can understand being more open-minded :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic