Hardware/software

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jwcollect

Hardware/software

Post by Jwcollect »

Hi,

I've been using "control my Nikon" along with zerene stacker and it's been working great. I'm switching over to a Mac and was wondering if anyone knows a Mac application that is as good as "control my Nikon"?

I'm also thinking about getting away from changing focus to moving the camera via auto rails. It seems from what I can see that stackshot is a little more expensive than others but a good choice. Would you guys recommend the stackshot? I take pictures of flowers and typically use a 105mm.

Thanks

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Jwcollect,

The Stackshot is towards the high end of stacking rails with an excellent rail and superb controller that works stand alone (no computer required) or with Zerene stacking software (works with Mac and Windows) for the best user interface IMO. Very flexible system with just about every feature necessary for serious stacking endeavors.

Wemacro and MJKZZ offer lower cost stacking systems that are quite good but lack some the features & flexability of the Stackshot system. Both require computers of some sort (tablets, laptops, smartphones) to operate and support Bluetooth wireless (Stackshot is only USB). The Wemaco rail system operates with the Mac and Windows, the MJKZZ only works with Windows.

William at Wemacro recently includes a field battery pack with the system. This battery pack utilizes three 18650 LiOn batteries that can run the entire system all day in the field.

All rail systems are very capable but only the Stackshot and Wemacro can operate with the Mac OS.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Mike

SebastianFg

Post by SebastianFg »

Hi, there is one rail missing.
That plots in terms of stability and precision above the Stackshot (steps of 0,1ym).
The producer is stonemaster.eu and its called "stackmaster".
https://www.stonemaster-onlineshop.de/f ... ackmaster/
A lot of german stacker are very satisfied with this product.
It works with the stackshot controller too, but without it a computer is necessary.
Best regards,
Sebastian

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

SebastianFg wrote:Hi, there is one rail missing.
That plots in terms of stability and precision above the Stackshot (steps of 0,1ym).
The producer is stonemaster.eu and its called "stackmaster".
https://www.stonemaster-onlineshop.de/f ... ackmaster/
A lot of german stacker are very satisfied with this product.
It works with the stackshot controller too, but without it a computer is necessary.
Best regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian,

Thanks, I haven't tested this rail so didn't include it since I couldn't "speak" from experience. I understand it's an excellent precision rail.

Another in the "Precision Rail" category is the THK KR20. These are available as surplus on eBay for usually less that $200. Peter at MKJZZ offers a modification kit that includes a 400 step motor, motor adapter and mounting brackets for $100. With an adapter cable you can operate this rail with the Stackshot controller, or the Wemacro controller. MJKZZ controller should also work, although I haven't actually tried this controller.

I use the THK KR20 with a 1mm thread pitch, Peter's adapter kit with 400 step motor and the Stackshot controller or Wemacro controller. This is my favorite go to focus stacking setup for precision work. I see no evidence of rail backlash or wobble with the KR20, but a small amount does show in the Stackshot, Wemacro and MJKZZ rails. Not enough to worry about unless you are working at high magnification at very high resolution though. Backlash is easily handled in the Stackshot controller, or by manual means and the rail wobble is effectively reduced utilizing "Off Axis Loading" of the rail.

Best,

Mike

Jwcollect

Post by Jwcollect »

Thanks. Are there any mac alternatives to "Control my Nikon"?

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I have found SmartShooter 3 to be a good alternative to "Control my Nikon". It is available both in the Mac App Store and on its own website.

https://kuvacode.com/

The version on the website is updated more often than on the App store.

Tech support is excellent.

I am using it successfully with Zerene Stacker, and also Astropad-4 which allows the screen image (or part thereof) to be viewed on an iPad.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Jwcollect

Post by Jwcollect »

Thanks everyone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic