Rutile and Quartz

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harald

Rutile and Quartz

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
This is an image I´ve been working on.
It is Rutile and Quartz from the Norwegian mountain area called Hardangervidda. The specimen was given to me by a good friend.
FOV = 4,46mm, 100 images in combination of PMax and DMap.
Ping pong balls for diffusion on my Schott K 1500 LCD

Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It is nice, but if I may offer some constructive criticism, the out-of-focus parts are distracting for me.

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi Lou Just,
Thanks for comment, and yes, I do agree with you.
Thats the way to learn. Still learning and a long way to go.

Thanks for your time :D
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV

JL

Post by JL »

Hi Harald.

Although I agree that the out of focus areas are distracting, I guess that you have found how difficult, sometimes impossible, is to orient the sample in an appropriate way.

Nice picture and sample.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Perhaps a slightly higher magnification would help, and/or more control of the lighting so that the out-of-focus parts in back were darker than the foreground.

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your time and great comments. This is the way to learn I think. I really appreciate it.
If you stop learning, you finished.
There is allways things one can do better. Sharing and getting comments are priceless....
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV

JL

Post by JL »

I am currently using a cheap tripod ball head to have more "freedom" in positioning the sample, some times I get it right, many times I fail.

As Lou mentioned lighting is essential, I am in a permanent struggle with this issue. Eliminating reflections from the crystals faces, while maintaining the sample homogeneously illuminated, is something beyond my current capabilities. I can only be amazed and wonder how Ploum gets his magnificent photos.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, Ploum's is the gold standard for mineral photography, and well worth studying.

He has so many different lights aimed at his subject that it looks like he is trying to trigger nuclear fusion.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

I remember Polum has a dozen or so IKEA light (a huge light-producing surface area relative to subject crystals) that is well diffused. Each of his IKEA light can be repositioned to adjust light directions. Also his rig is horizontal, which allows more lighting possibilities, compared to vertical rigs.

Multifaceted crystal clusters are difficult though. Sometimes light can be perfect for some crystals, but too glary for others.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic