Wemacro or Mkjzz rail?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cjamoody

Wemacro or Mkjzz rail?

Post by cjamoody »

Hello all

I've been stacking images for a few years, always by hand with a manual rail. A stackshot was always a dream, but always too expensive.

I then found out a few days ago about the wemacro rail. I was about to buy one and was doing some last minute research, when I discovered there were also mkjzz rails. I've never done much research into automated rails as I figured they'd always be out of my budget!

I've not really been able to find much in the way of comparisons between the two. If they've been compared usually it's against the stackshot.

I get the impression that perhaps the mkjzz rail is a little better made than the wemacro, but that's not to say the wemacro is poor...with the main criticism being the user interface...but at the same time the developer is active in making improvements.

If anyone can help with recommendations it would be appreciated. I use a 5D MkIII and an MP-E mostly.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

I don't have experience with wemacro or mjkzz rail. However, I have the stackshot and it is a bit wobbly, especially at 10x and 20x magnification. At 5x you can also see it. Recently, I switched to a THK rail. They are of industrial quality and much smoother than the stackshot. Be sure to buy the correct type, as they also make versions where the pitch of the lead screw is much to big for macro stacking.

I have a KR20 (such as this one on Ebay, but without the damper). Peter Lin (owner of mjkzz) sells adapter plates so you can mount a camera on the rail. You can buy his controller separately, it works via bluetooth with the Nema17 stepper motor. This stepper motor can be mounted on the THK rail and it is the same type as used on the stackshot, so if you prefer usb connection instead of bluetooth you could also get a THK rail and just the stackshot controller (combo that I use), although I think it is more expensive (but I already had that controller). Advantage of the stackshot controller is that it works with Simple Stackshot Controller. A piece of software which gives the option to fully control the rail with a pc or tablet. I like the interface a lot and it has the option to move the a single step (or x steps) forward or backward with the click of a button and the option to pause/resume a stack. I find that pretty useful sometimes.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

All i can tell you, is that WeMacro rail was best purchase i've made with macro equipment. Im using it to drive microscope and Mp-E 65, and it's saving me lots of time. I didnt noticed any wobbling with those, except on extreme rail positions.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

CJ,

I have all three rails, Stackshot, Wemacro and MJKZZ. Also have the THK KR20. I'be been at this a long time and accumulated these trying for better overall IQ.

As Nlels mentioned the Stackshot controller is hands down the best controller, and interfaces directly with Zerene. The Stackshot Controller with Modified THK KR20 is by best overall rail system.

You will find the Stackshot rail, Wemacro Rail (William) and MJKZZ (Peter) rail are all well made and very useful, the Stackshot is probably the best made of the 3 IMO, but Peter's and William's rails are lower cost.

I've found all 3 perform about the same. At higher magnifications rail wobble comes into play as well as backlash and step uniformity. Something that really helps these rails is what I did long ago and call "Off Axis Loading", specifically to address rail wobble. It's doesn't cost or require anything but a few rubber bands and a strategically located bolt. Do a search here to find the threads.

One nice feature of the Wemacro controller is that is is Apple Mac Bluetooth compatible, so you can run it from a Mac laptop or Mac base computer. The controller is limited compared to the Stackshot controller though (which is the best Controller and worth the additional cost IMO for those involved in serious stacking).

The THK KR20 is at another level of performance without any backlash or wobble I've found and no need for "Off Axis Loading". Peter's kit allows the THK modified rail to be mounted onto his "T" rail system using a pair of brackets and thru bolts to a clip (T system).

I drilled and tapped a long eBay ARCA base so I use the ARCA clamp system which comes with the Wemacro Vertical Stand. This mates with the KR20 backside and uses the mounting holes in the base to bolt thru to the drilled and tapped ARCA base plate. I'm no machinist, and did this with a cheap Harbor Freight Drill Press and drill & tap set.

The ARCA mount allows the THK KR20 rail to be used anywhere I have a ARCA base system including a tripod for remote use.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

CJ,

All you need to run these various rails from different controllers is just a simple adapter cable with the proper connectors on each end. You can buy these from Paul at Cognisys for Stackshot, Peter at MJKZZ and William at Wemacro. There's thread on here about this very subject.

Cheers,

Mike

cjamoody

Post by cjamoody »

Thanks all. I'd love a stackshot for the controller but sadly cannot afford that.

I think I'm edging towards the wemacro. Regarding the wobble, it can't be as bad as the wobble encountered when manually moving a rail by hand one quarter turn at a time at 5x on the MP-E!?!?

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

cjamoody wrote:Thanks all. I'd love a stackshot for the controller but sadly cannot afford that.

I think I'm edging towards the wemacro. Regarding the wobble, it can't be as bad as the wobble encountered when manually moving a rail by hand one quarter turn at a time at 5x on the MP-E!?!?
Most likely not. Wobble with the stackshot rail is barely noticable at 5x. It becomes a big problem at 50x and at 10x it can be seen, but it is not a real issue. Of course, a more steady rail is nicer, but at some point the extra cost are not worth the slightly reduced wobble. After all: Zerene Stacker happily alignes all the images for you :D

Sharks

Post by Sharks »

I use it up to 10x magnification without problems.

There is the 10x sample video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh92tJXQbV4

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Don't forget, a microscope focus block, or carved up or split microscope base, doesn't wobble. You need to know what you're buying, but many will give 30mm travel. They often come with other facilities like X-Y, too.

If you can focus with your lens AF mechanism, see
https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... versusrail

and consider whether a focus rail is what you need at all.
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

My current system uses a THK KR2602A with a mjkzz conversion kit. The THK rails are a study in precision. The 400-step motor that comes with the kit gives full-step pitch of 5um (the rail has 2mm pitch) and a reliable quarter-step of 1.25um. As mawyatt says the THK rails have no discernible backlash or wobble.

I have also built an "add-on" system with a SKR2001A, also with 400-step motor, and this gives confident submicron steps. Of course I don't need such small steps, but it's nice to know the system can make such steps accurately.

cjamoody

Post by cjamoody »

ChrisR wrote:Don't forget, a microscope focus block, or carved up or split microscope base, doesn't wobble. You need to know what you're buying, but many will give 30mm travel. They often come with other facilities like X-Y, too.

If you can focus with your lens AF mechanism, see
https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... versusrail

and consider whether a focus rail is what you need at all.
Thanks. For some of the things I shoot I will need a bit more than 30mm travel. Also the MP-E 65mm doesn't have autofocus ;)

I've yet to really delve beyond the realms of 5x,though I do have a few bits I can add to get to about 8x with the MP-E. This set was all shot using a manual focus rail:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zpyder/al ... 9733215304

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

nielsgeode wrote:
cjamoody wrote:Thanks all. I'd love a stackshot for the controller but sadly cannot afford that.

Most likely not. Wobble with the stackshot rail is barely noticable at 5x. It becomes a big problem at 50x and at 10x it can be seen, but it is not a real issue. Of course, a more steady rail is nicer, but at some point the extra cost are not worth the slightly reduced wobble. After all: Zerene Stacker happily alignes all the images for you :D
Wobble effects on the final rendered image have a lot to do with the subject as well as magnification. Here's an example of the "Off Axis Loading" and the effects of wobble shown on the chips I image. Even at 5X wobble can be a nuisance with certain subjects.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... le&start=0

Sometimes you don't want to use software alignment, for example when stitching many stacked images. Minor image changes caused by having alignment ON in Zerene can make the stitching process very difficult, so you resort to minimizing the rail wobble issue with loading techniques or a better rail like model THK rails.

Best,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic