Jansjos Coming Tomorrow!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Jansjos Coming Tomorrow!

Post by Deanimator »

With real income flowing in again and in anticipation of having to switch over to indoor macro, I'm starting to purchase the equipment I'd been putting off prior to and during unemployment.

A few days ago, I ordered a couple of Jansjo LED table lamps off of Amazon (strangely cheaper in the long run than IKEA).

Does anyone have any tips on how best to use them?

Do they require diffusion, and if so what do you recommend?

I constructed a "third hand" type subject holder this morning, so I can get very close to the subject with the lights now.

I'm not sure what to get next, the breadboard or a better table.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I have done lots of work modifying and applying the Jansjo for coin photography, but I'm not sure this will help you much.

The main issue with coins is that the Jansjo creates a fairly narrow angle source. The lens widens it somewhat but it is still fairly small, especially if it's placed some distance away from the subject. Significant diffusion is required to increase the apparent size of the source. For coins, this is needed due to the reflective/specular nature of the surfaces. A fairly highly-diffused source is needed for BU coins.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ray_parkhurst wrote:I have done lots of work modifying and applying the Jansjo for coin photography, but I'm not sure this will help you much.

The main issue with coins is that the Jansjo creates a fairly narrow angle source. The lens widens it somewhat but it is still fairly small, especially if it's placed some distance away from the subject. Significant diffusion is required to increase the apparent size of the source. For coins, this is needed due to the reflective/specular nature of the surfaces. A fairly highly-diffused source is needed for BU coins.
For larger subjects, I have my 300w and 100w CFLs and a light tent.

I'll be using the Jansjos for small subjects, the size of a computer motherboard screw and smaller. My surmise is that they have to be in very close, which is quite possible with my new "third hand" stage.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Now I don't know if they're coming or not.

I only had them shipped here because I knew I'd be here today.

I checked the order status and it shows "delivered"... YESTERDAY.

I called Amazon who said in essence that sometimes the Post Office lies and says things are delivered before they actually are... IF they are.

There's nobody here to receive packages, so if they don't come today, they'll either be undeliverable or wide open to theft by anyone walking by.

They've already processed a refund in case it can't be delivered... or disappears.

Very disappointing...

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've had a lot of similar issues with Amazon. My wife's had even more...she's at about 50% hit rate, and in some cases she has not received product nor has she been able to get a refund. The retailer points the finger at Amazon...and Amazon points the finger at USPS...and USPS says the package was delivered so there's nothing that can be done. She won't buy from Amazon any more because of this.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ray_parkhurst wrote:I've had a lot of similar issues with Amazon. My wife's had even more...she's at about 50% hit rate, and in some cases she has not received product nor has she been able to get a refund. The retailer points the finger at Amazon...and Amazon points the finger at USPS...and USPS says the package was delivered so there's nothing that can be done. She won't buy from Amazon any more because of this.
Fortunately, I have Amazon Prime.

They've already provisionally canceled the order and started the refund process. If it shows up (and isn't stolen), I'll call them to arrange payment. Otherwise, I'm not going to jump through any hoops to get them this go 'round. If necessary, I'll re-order them and have them sent to a friend's office.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I got my replacement Jansjo lamps and am pretty satisfied with them. I had to set a custom white balance for them, as they seem quite "warm" to me.

That having been said, once that was done, I've been quite impressed with the flexibility they allow me. I don't have the problems with subjects getting shielded by the camera and associated gear, especially when I use my DIY "third hand" rig.

Today I'll probably working on fabricating some ping pong ball diffusers for them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic