Small metal knobs for manual stages

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ray_parkhurst wrote:That one would be great except smallest shaft available is 1/4".
You could file a flat on the shaft, then get some proper thickness shim stock, wrap around the shaft, slip on the knob and tighten the setscrew onto the flat. Or find a 4mm aluminum knob with a setscrew and ream the hole to 5mm. I didn't search for knobs with a 4mm shaft (or 3/16' shafts) since they seem to stop at 6mm shafts.

-JW:

elf

Post by elf »

I'd use these and drill/ream to 5mm

p.s. I didn't see Smokedaddy's post :cry:

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I received the plastic knobs from DigiKey. Unfortunately, the QC is not so good, as the holes are smaller than 5mm on 2/5 I bought, but the others work well with a tight fit over the 5mm shaft.

elf

Post by elf »

A #9 (.1960") drill will give you a nice press fit for the knob.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

One thing I did not mention is that I intended to use the knobs for manual rotation of dual-shaft stepper motors on THK rails. With this application in mind, I looked around and found some dampers made by Vexta. Their D4CL-5.0F "Clean Damper" is now serving a dual purpose on my stepper...damping...and as a knob for manual rotation. A fairly expensive but highly recommended solution...Ray

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Ray

A little late but I have used these for a couple of projects.

The little crank on the knob is removable.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Those are very nice! Not too late, as there may be other requirements as well. Thanks...Ray

econopotamus

Knob options

Post by econopotamus »

For what it's worth, recently I've been 3d printing knobs when I need them. This is one example of what's out there. If you search thingiverse for "knob" you'll find hundreds of examples in different styles and textures. That makes it easy to have different feel on each knob so I can find the right knob without taking my view out of the eyepiece. Obviously that requires a few added steps and payment if you don't have a 3d printer, but if you have access or a friend with a 3d printer then such knobs are easy to make.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic