DOH!!!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

GaryB

DOH!!!

Post by GaryB »

I bought a Zeiss standard 16 a while ago and it was a bit of a mess, though it did clean up well enough and I've been happy with it. It came with a plan 10, a F-LD 20 and an F 40, all Zeiss. The 10 was good, the 40 was good, the 20, however, was bad. Non par focal and horrible image. I put this down to it being either just a rubbish lens because it has a NA of just .25, barely more than the 10x, or because it was a long working distance lens.

The one thing I never checked (for whatever reason) was it's cover slip thickness because they're all .17 right?.... you can probably guess where this is going...:roll:

2.0, not 0.17 but 2, two whole millimeters.

I thought to myself *what if I put a slide over my sample?* Lo and behold, a decent image! It suddenly dawned on me it's for looking up through the bottom of a petri dish or somesuch. I guess it's pretty useless on an upright, I just can't think why it took me so long to figure it out :lol:

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

GaryB,

You can use that F-LD 20 on an upright scope, for viewing petri dish (from top to bottom) filled with 1-2 mm of water. At NA 0.25-0.4, RI difference between water and glass does not matter that much.

At above NA 0.4 (I have tried NA 0.55), as long as you have a cover correction collar and trade 1.14mm water for 1.0mm of glass, you will still get decent image that way.

NA 0.25 is still a bit too low for 20x though, even considering 2mm thick cover (and long working distance? It must have a special application). Most 20x inverted objectives have NA of 0.4 and 30-45x inverted objectives have NA of 0.55-0.65.

I have an extra DIN plan PH3 20x NA 0.4 Bausch & Lomb inverted (1.2mm corrected) objective for trade or sale, at my original cost ($57.6), if you want.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Hi Fan,
I've actually been having some fun with it. With it's low NA it has a pretty good depth of focus so while it's not the sharpest, it's still good for certain subjects. I looked it up in an old Zeiss catalog and it's good for 1 to 3mm cover sizes. I believe it's one of their cheapest objectives for rough and ready work. Once I have some spare cash I'll be getting one of the Lomo 20x objectives, hopefully an apo, but thanks for the offer :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic