Equipment questions from a beginner.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
Here is my set up with the KT70 mounted on a tripod:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=31664

As you can see ChrisR this is mobile and can be used in the field.....

I just made this with this configuration

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=34687

I used an aluminium plate under the table to attach the quick release bracket.
Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head is used.
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

Harald wrote:Hi there,
Here is my set up with the KT70 mounted on a tripod:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=31664

As you can see ChrisR this is mobile and can be used in the field.....

I just made this with this configuration

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=34687

I used an aluminium plate under the table to attach the quick release bracket.
Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head is used.
That looks like a good setup but I am not equipped to build a plate. Great pictures Harald!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Well done Harald, but I think I would find that all a bit too much to carry on top of a small light-weight tripod!
Chris R

MacroLens

Equipment choices.

Post by MacroLens »

Right now I am down to:

Giottos MH-1302 Pro Series II Medium Ballhead with 655 Quick release. Load Capacity 13 lbs Cost 99.00

Ishoot 150MM Focus rail, cost 59.99 on ebay. I am not sure I need the dual setup but I may order it anyway so I have a backup along with spare parts. Cost for the dual is 109.99.

I think I have read up on all the budget sliders that have been mentioned here. Does anyone have a experience with a good 100.00 ballhead I should consider?

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

I was told about this head by a friend today and he highly recommends it as a great all around head if I am willing to spend $200.00 on one.

Gitzo G2272M Pan and Tilt Head.

If I spend 200.00 on a head, I will have to wait on a Focus Rail. I am strongly considering this as a valid option. Any thoughts on this head or one in a similar price range?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Looks good (they cost near $360 in the UK).
I use one of the Gitzo off-center ballheads, which is useful for options to twist it around, handy when you can't quite get the tripod where you need it in the bushes. A bit tall perhaps on a small tripod?

Indoors I prefer the Manfrotto 410.
Chris R

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

ChrisR wrote:Looks good (they cost near $360 in the UK).
I use one of the Gitzo off-center ballheads, which is useful for options to twist it around, handy when you can't quite get the tripod where you need it in the bushes. A bit tall perhaps on a small tripod?

Indoors I prefer the Manfrotto 410.
Your off center looks great from what I have seen of it. I just looked it up. I have not quite made up my mind on whether to buy the Gitzo pan head; but the primary reason I am leaning towards it is I am familiar with a pan and have never owned a ballhead. The 2272M has some quirks if you want to switch from landscape to portrait but otherwise good comments on it for the most part.

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

I have now looked at the Feisol CB 50DC and the Benro B3 Dbl Action. Both are overkill from a weight supporting purpose but nice heads for the money none the less. I am glad I do not have to make up my mind for a week or so.

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

Those Berlebach tripods looks so nice but, for no other reason than they're a little cheaper, I have just bought a Sunwayfoto T1A20 macro tripod. eg http://www.ebay.com/itm/162113845684
Geoff

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

boomblurt wrote:Those Berlebach tripods looks so nice but, for no other reason than they're a little cheaper, I have just bought a Sunwayfoto T1A20 macro tripod. eg http://www.ebay.com/itm/162113845684
I watched a review of a Sunwayfoto yesterday. The review was very positive and to me it looks like an aluminum version of the Berlebach. Most prefer aluminum or carbon and I think you will enjoy it.

On a side note, I received confirmation mine will ship Monday!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Referring to posts above where you commented on a) weight and b) practicalities of mud on trails and fine equipment, have you investigated stacking by focus-by-wire/wifi? Lots of options these days... which may mean you don't need to carry any focus rail for stacking.
Chris R

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

ChrisR wrote:Referring to posts above where you commented on a) weight and b) practicalities of mud on trails and fine equipment, have you investigated stacking by focus-by-wire/wifi? Lots of options these days... which may mean you don't need to carry any focus rail for stacking.
My camera has Pixel Shift, which shifts one pixel over four different times, creating four images which are then combined. I can also use each one individually and/or discount ones I do not like. It is a great feature and I have been contemplating in my head a way to take four to six pixel shift images of a flower ( example ) and then make one stack. A pixel shift image is on average size about 150 MB to 200MB. So they are very large and detailed as well.

I have taken a few of these and processed them in silkypix; and then output to tiff. This creates some pretty nice pictures, but not as sharp as a huge stack such as what I have seen here. I do like the idea of stacking them to see what they look like with even more added detail. Please can you explain the technique you are talking about? I think I have an idea but not sure on the technique.

I do use the Pentax wifi app on my phone for shutter release when my camera is on a tripod. I've not used all the apps features but it is another great little tool on this camera.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That sounds like Olympus, but then the camera would do stacks all by itself!

"All" I was referring to was tethered camera operation, such as CamRanger or Helicon Remote, or the native camera App?
--Which would enable you to shift focus at the lens, then take another picture, and repeat. Some do it automatically.

Pixel-shifting prresumably relies on a rock-steady setup?
Chris R

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

ChrisR wrote:That sounds like Olympus, but then the camera would do stacks all by itself!

"All" I was referring to was tethered camera operation, such as CamRanger or Helicon Remote, or the native camera App?
--Which would enable you to shift focus at the lens, then take another picture, and repeat. Some do it automatically.

Yes Olympus and Pentax have their own versions of it; but it only does a four stack image. At least in a Pentax anyway. Not sure about Olympus version. If you want anything close to a keeper a tripod is a must. Wind is bad news as well.

Here is a link to a photographer who takes macro pictures for a living. This article is what sold me on macro with this camera.

http://redredphoto.com/blog/equipment/p ... xel-shift/

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

ChrisR wrote:That sounds like Olympus, but then the camera would do stacks all by itself!

I need to figure out if I can use the phone app to change focus points.

My budget is 200.00 for head and rail or 200.00 for just a head. I am going to take your very good advice on this and skip the rail for now. I also think I will save up another 100.00 and get the Acratech Ultimate Ball Head. It is suppose be easy to clean; and a lot of people think they are in the same league build wise as Gitzo and Arca-Swiss from what I have read.

I hate waiting but I think it will be worth it in the end. I can use my cheap pan and tilt head on the Berlebach until the extra 100.00 becomes available in the next two weeks. Thanks to you and everyone on this forum. I have been reading a lot here and the information is invaluable for anyone who wants to delve into Macro!

I will continue to post when I have a question or need input. Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic