How Do I Set Zoom Magnification Range on Leica Wild M10?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

atariwarrior

How Do I Set Zoom Magnification Range on Leica Wild M10?

Post by atariwarrior »

I was very lucky to find a Leica Wild M10 stereo zoom microscope on EBay for home use after looking for almost a year. I’m having some problems setting the range of zoom magnification settings.
There is a window next to both zoom knobs showing the zoom magnifications settings: 8, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 2.5, 125, 3.2, 160, 4, 200, 5, 250, 6.3 . The previous owner has set the click stops to start at 20 and end at 2.5. I can go no lower than 20 and cannot go beyond the 2.5 setting.
I use an M10 at work and it has a similar scale but different zoom increments: 8, 10, 12.5, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 2.5, and 125 (appears to go higher but view is limited by the window). The click stops start at 8 and end at 80. I cannot go beyond 80.
On my personal M10, how can I set the range of usable zoom magnification settings? I would like to start at 8 and go up to 160X if this is possible. Or is this magnification setting limited to the particular version of M10 that I have which is apparently different than the one that I use at work?
The manual says: “Hook a finger into the back window of the magnification changer and displace the scale so that the number 16 is opposite to the index.” The example was for setting the zoom magnifications for 16x to 160x.
I tried this and the window and scale would not move at all.

If anyone knows how to change the range of zoom settings, I would appreciate some tips.

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

It took some effort but I was able to move the scale with some pressure from my index finger. It must have never been moved before.

I wasn't able to move the zoom setting to the maximum position easily. I opened up the scope and found that the grease on one of the optic carrier slide guide posts had completely dried up and the carrier was stuck.

I tried to clean the slide guide posts with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and re-grease them. This helped a little bit but the carrier still gets stuck.

Can anyone recommend a solvent to use to fully clean the old grease residue and a grease or oil to lube the posts?

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Mineral spirits and a cotton ball
I am not young enough to know everything.

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

The mineral spirits worked. I applied some mineral spirits with cotton swabs and it appeared to dissolve the residue. I wiped the guide posts with cotton swabs to remove the excess mineral spirits. Some mineral spirit residue appears to have coated the surface even after wiping. Now, there is no stick-slip in the movements of the optics carriers. I haven't even applied the grease yet. I may keep it as is without the grease since the grease is more sticky and may impede the movement.

I will now clean my Wild M8 which also had the same problem.

Thanks for your help Choronzon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic