My new APS-C set up

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

My new APS-C set up

Post by seta666 »

Hello,

I have finished my new APS-C set up and I would like to share it with you. Mainly this time is based on a motor driven micrometric linear stage a shown here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... near+stage

Here is a picture of the set up

And how it compares to my other set up

It consists of:

- Wooden macro stand 2cm thick at 90º with 4 sorbothane legs. Any vibration caused by touching the stand or by motor movement is cancelled in less than a second.

- Vertical axis consisting of:

- Melles Griot micrometric rail with 1" travel, the actuator has 80tpi (0.3175 mm per rev), adapted to a 200 step motor (3200 microsteps) by a doble junction (modification made by Jotafoto)
- Giottos MH621 quickrelease
- Old B.P.M. focusing rail, all metal and quite solid
- Old Novoflex bellows (Rollei or something else) modified to 52mm female mount, then a 52mm UV filter to prevent dust getting to the sensor and a 52mm-NEX adapter

- 5 axis for positioning consisting of:

- 2 Velmex rails with 1.5" travel and 20tpi (1.27mm per revolution)
- Newport 360º rotary stage
- 2 Goniometers

-Stack control by Txema Garcia, some advantages compared to the stackshot:

- Uses all 3200 microsteps without noise (Stackshot has a high pitch noise when used this way)
- Shows distance needed to end the stack and also how many shots left to end the stack
- Can trigger a flash via cable with programable delay; useful for the canon 5D mkII to use flash without loosing EFSC
- USB port for update or control through computer (my stackshot does not have it)
- You can also switch it of, something cognisys forgot to add, a simple switch

Here in flickr you have notes describing and showing each part
https://www.flickr.com/photos/seta666/8 ... ateposted/
Regards
Javier
Last edited by seta666 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Javier -

This looks like a very compact arrangement for producing high-resolution images (and far more efficient than using a differential micrometer :)). Thanks for posting the clear images and descriptions!

Regards,
David

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Yes David, using a diferential mictometer can be a pain :D

seta666

Post by seta666 »

I want to update this post with some more pictures sowing some modification on the set up; this modification consist of:

- 4 led lamps fixed on the wooden frame
- 2 more quick release clamps; one extra on the BPM rail and one on the Melles griot rail

This now allows different camera/lens combinations

Regards

elf

Post by elf »

What's the fastest shutter speed you can achieve with the 4 lights?

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Twice the one I was getting with two :)

It will of course depend on the effective apperture, distance from the lights to the subject, thickness of the diffusor etc...

Also some lenses with short WD may block a lot of light, this is something happens with lenses like the nikon BD 40/0.65

1/10 at f19.2(effective), with the MP-E at 5X f3.2

Something I played sometimes is with a lens on front of the lamp to act as a loupe to concentrate the light but I yet have to find a system to make it easy to use

Regards

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

Hey Seta! I've been trying to find your setup for ages! I just wondered if you would mind me using your design for my own stacking set-up? It's just the frame of it essentially. I'll be using a stackshot and I am very impressed that you made such a good rig with wood!

If you don't mind, can you give me the rough dimensions of each piece of wood, perhaps ideas of how to fix them to each other, and where is best to drill holes for attaching the stackshot? If not, not to worry. Love the design.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Very effective design.
Regards.
Omer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic