Handling Very Small Subjects

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Handling Very Small Subjects

Post by Deanimator »

Now that I'm starting to get a handle on the photographic aspects of photographing tiny insects (tiny flies to be specific), I'm now running into some issues of handling and presentation.

I've got an INCREDIBLE amount of light going into the subjects, but since they're dead, they're usually found lying on their backs or sides, which puts part of them in shadow. Rather than pour even more light onto them, properly orienting them is a better solution.

I find it difficult to manipulate the subjects without damaging them. I bought a set of tweezers yesterday, but I'm still learning how to handle the subjects.

A major issue that I've run into is getting the subject upright. They froze into whatever position they assumed on death, and are hard to position.

I've seen an article or two about mounting them on needles with glue. Is this feasible with subjects so small (~1/8")? I have a supply of small hypodermic syringes, as well as blood glucose testing lancets.

I don't have one of the "third hand" type devices, but I've gotten quite handy at making things with PVC. I'm sure I could come up with something, one way or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It helps to separate two aspects of the problem:

1. How to attach the subject to any positioning jig.
2. What sort of positioning jig do you want?

For part 1, there's no substitute for glue. White glues like PVA are good for short term solutions. They tend to pop off glossy surfaces after a while. "Superglues" like methyl methacrylate are fast and last a long time, but they have a tendency to wick, especially in the low viscosity formulations. Two-part epoxies with hardening times in the vicinity of 5 minutes are used by some of our most successful members.

For part 2, there is no end of approaches depending on how sophisticated you want to get. On the cheap end, consider a simple ball of clay to stick holding pins in, or mount your subject on wire that can be bent.

Yes, these techniques can be used even with very small subjects. It helps a lot if you have magnification, such as a low power stereo scope.

--Rik

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

rjlittlefield wrote:It helps to separate two aspects of the problem:

1. How to attach the subject to any positioning jig.
2. What sort of positioning jig do you want?

For part 1, there's no substitute for glue. White glues like PVA are good for short term solutions. They tend to pop off glossy surfaces after a while. "Superglues" like methyl methacrylate are fast and last a long time, but they have a tendency to wick, especially in the low viscosity formulations. Two-part epoxies with hardening times in the vicinity of 5 minutes are used by some of our most successful members.

For part 2, there is no end of approaches depending on how sophisticated you want to get. On the cheap end, consider a simple ball of clay to stick holding pins in, or mount your subject on wire that can be bent.

Yes, these techniques can be used even with very small subjects. It helps a lot if you have magnification, such as a low power stereo scope.

--Rik
Thanks for the information.

I'll probably start with super glue.

I have a stage which I built from PVC and wood. What I will probably end up doing is using modeling clay to hold the needle/pin in place.

I'm between jobs, so I can't afford to spend a lot of money. I'll probably try to get a deal on a set of worn magnifiers that I can use hands-free.

Some day I'll get a lab jack and rig up an alligator clip rig, but for now, this will have to do.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I am a big fan of JB Weld KwikWeld epoxy (this is their faster curing version). It hardens at nearly a perfect rate to allow you to make subtle adjustments during the curing process. Hardens to a dark grey. I personally do not care for super glues, at least the very low viscosity types. As often as not, the "wicking" Rik described will ruin a tiny subject... but perhaps I just need to practice with it more. (If you think you would prefer super glues you might want to check out the "gel" type formulations).

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Charles Krebs wrote:I am a big fan of JB Weld KwikWeld epoxy (this is their faster curing version). It hardens at nearly a perfect rate to allow you to make subtle adjustments during the curing process. Hardens to a dark grey. I personally do not care for super glues, at least the very low viscosity types. As often as not, the "wicking" Rik described will ruin a tiny subject... but perhaps I just need to practice with it more. (If you think you would prefer super glues you might want to check out the "gel" type formulations).
I've actually got some JB Weld which I bought (but never used) to build a stand for the Android tablet that I use to control my camera.

Last night I mounted a VERY small fly on the end of an unused hypodermic syringe. Despite some futzing around, it actually seemed to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, when I went to start my stack, I discovered that my tablet was dead and needed to be recharged. I did the stack this afternoon.

Unfortunately, I screwed up the focus, and will have to reshoot.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

A fly, clumsily mounted on the end of an insulin syringe.

I switched from my Tokina 100mm macro on electronic tubes because I couldn't get close enough. These flies are incredibly tiny. I still need to get some wearable magnifiers.

The display was VERY dark, making it hard to focus.

Canon T4i
50mm Minolta MD manual lens reverse mounted on manual tubes.
F11
1/50 sec.

Grahame

Post by Grahame »

I use something very similar to this
Mine has more magnification in the main lens, there's many models available.
Serves many purposes.
It makes it easy to sort insect collections in a petri dish.
Extra magnification for mounting.
Useful for soldering.
Wouldn't take much thought to make it also serve as a holder for your mounted specimens.
Covers a lot of bases so makes it pretty cost effective.
I'd look for one with more mag in the primary lens than the one shown.
I found the box mine came in but it doesn't say what mag the lenses are.
From memory it was advertised as 5X.
But the question is 5X in relation to what and of course being Chinese, specs are often "inflated"

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Grahame wrote:I use something very similar to this
Mine has more magnification in the main lens, there's many models available.
Serves many purposes.
It makes it easy to sort insect collections in a petri dish.
Extra magnification for mounting.
Useful for soldering.
Wouldn't take much thought to make it also serve as a holder for your mounted specimens.
Covers a lot of bases so makes it pretty cost effective.
I'd look for one with more mag in the primary lens than the one shown.
I found the box mine came in but it doesn't say what mag the lenses are.
From memory it was advertised as 5X.
But the question is 5X in relation to what and of course being Chinese, specs are often "inflated"
That looks interesting. I found quite a few of them on Amazon, up to 12x.

I see a lot of complaints about stability, but that sounds like something trivial to fix.

One more thing to buy when I'm working...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic