Disabilities and photography

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

timmymac

Disabilities and photography

Post by timmymac »

It's interesting how people who are passionate about a hobby will find ways to overcome their disabilities. The OP for a recent topic has glaucoma, someone else chimed in with a different eye issue (macular degeneration), and in another forum section was an individual who is bedridden. While these are severe obstacles, we find ways to adapt and compensate.

In my case, the disability is Parkinson's. This causes tremors in my right arm and leg. Unfortunately, cameras are designed to be held and manipulated with the right hand...

A while back, I wrote a commentary http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/03/1 ... -mccleary/ about the adjustments of photography techniques necessary to compensate for uncontrollable shaking of the right hand.

Photomacrography is perfect for me... The camera is firmly fixed, not handheld. I use a remote shutter release (which my right hand can usually do). Fine focussing for stacking is done with my left hand. There's no hurry to set up to capture the fleeting moment, and I'm ok with that.

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome. And have fun.
Never stop learning!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Exactly! Just keep moving forward.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic