Lighting and enlarging

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marci Hess

Lighting and enlarging

Post by Marci Hess »

My request will be quite simplistic for most on this forum but I figure one needs to figure this out before moving to the advanced set ups!! I am working on insects only and photo'g for science but still wanting quality photos.

I am struggling with getting enough light on the very small subject (3mm or less) in see that I am getting the details of the 1st stack and the last (i.e. tips of antennas or feet). How do folks deal with this?

The other aspect of this is getting these itty bitty parts large enough on the computer screen to see that they are in focus. I have set up my EOS Utility (using a Canon camera) but it doesn't enlarge -- or perhaps I don't know how to make it enlarge? How do folks deal with this?

Am grateful for all the help!!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

If you work at studio a fiber optic illuminator (usually intended fro stereo microscopes) will provide plenty of light. there are also powerful LED illuminators or you can made one yourself.
Ikea Jansjo LED lamps are very useful although not very powerful. You can increase its light intensity concentrating it with a lens, a cheap 10X or 15X microscope eyepiece works well for the task.

In any case for quality pictures you'll need to use a diffuser around the subject.

I don't know the cause of your lack or magnified LV with Canon utility, maybe there is a bug in your version, try updating it. It works very well if it has enough light, if not it loses usefulness due to the amount of noise.
Pau

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

I work at home with no additional funding options. Those fiber optics look great but a bit pricey.

I'm not good at hacking things like this. I do have a couple of microscope objectives but how would they "attach" to one of those gooseneck LEDs?

I just downloaded the EOS utility, so am assuming it's the latest version. Perhaps once I solve the lighting issue, this will become resolved as well?

Yes, you bring up the diffuser. I haven't had a need to put one around the specimens yet as I have them on my flashes, but...I've been pondering this. I have the diffuser paper but have no idea (again the lack of hacking abilities) how to make a "tent" with this paper. Suggestions for this?

Thank you for taking time to assist me!

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

Here's the good news!! I figured out how to allow the EOS utility to zoom in!!! I suppose knowing that it could made me search a bit harder! One issue down!!!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The diffuser is typically better placed around the subject, than on the light source. The subject needs to feel as though it's inside a light tent, or a "big sky".

See the FAQ - Simple diffuse illumination.
http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25935
Chris R

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

ChrisR -- Thanks for that! Obviously, I had not understood that concept until now.

This could get super complicated as I'll have to move the diffuser for every insect, since they aren't all the same size. I mount my insects as pinned or pointed specimens, then use the pin in styrofoam to position the insect. I'm not sure how to make a cup work as that is very stationery. And I'm not good at hacking these types of things.

Any thoughts on how to make a dome that could be placed over the insect with each photo?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

For a vertical rig it's fairly easy, just a ring of paper or the open end cut off a polystyrene or plastic cup. That's what the Natural History Museum do. They use a flash each side but that's not critical.

For a horizontal you would need something to replace gravity to hold the cup. Possibly it could be sliding on the lens, or on the objective if it's small.
Chris R

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

Found some further inspiring threads on this. Ended up cutting the top and bottom off a large vinegar jar then creating a "mouse hole" for the lens and then can place a diffuser sheet on top. So far, it's working pretty good. One down, 2 to go. Now to get the StackShot to talk to the camera via the EOS Utility and enough light to create the stacked shot!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic