Mesquite blossom

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Mesquite blossom

Post by mtuell »

Like my earlier post featuring a palo verde tree blossom (http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33989), here is a mesquite blossom with the same setup : Nikon D3300 APS-C with 55-200 mm Nikkor at 200 mm with Pentax 67 medium format 165 mm f/2.8, in this case, wide open. No flash. 296 image PMax stack with Photoshop auto levels and unsharp mask. Stereo image every other frame, so 148 images. Could have done better with the lighting. I also plan a stack with the same lens at f/8 or so. The last picture is a short stack at f/11.

Cross-eyed stereo

Short stack at f/11. Still no flash.

Bigger versions on my site in "stereo images"
Mike

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Thanks for sharing this desert blossom series. I have not lived in Arizona for forty plus years, but these bring back happy memories of sitting in a mesquite tree watching ants work over the blossoms.

I especially like the stereos.

Keith

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

Attached to photo interpretation command in Navy and was able to view stereo w/o mechanical contraptions. Try as I might unable to view above stereo set in "3-D", any suggestions. Beautiful work incidentally.
Fred H.

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Keith, thanks for your kind words. The desert can be beautiful! I just posted another on - a pencil cactus flower.

For the stereo, I can't do cross-eyed, so use a mechanical contraption (thanks to Rik for the recommendation) to see the parallel pairs. So, I checked that the posted version isn't accidentally the parallel version, and I checked to make sure I hadn't output identical images for that version. Neither was the case. Maybe others can comment on if the cross-eyed image is working for them.

Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The crossed-eye version as posted locks up instantly and solidly for me.

And I have to say again, it's such a treat to instantly understand the 3D structure that is otherwise so well hidden in the single 2D images.

GrayPlayer, can you describe what goes wrong when you try to view the crossed-eye version here? Was your Navy work w/o mechanical contraptions done parallel or crossed-eye?

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A variation on technique, Fred:

Sit square to the screen. I'm assuming the screen is a couple of feet/0.6-0.75m across, and a yard/metre away.

First look at the screen with your eyes crossed.
It's in focus, right? You can still read text, though it's an effort, you're favouring one eye. So you CAN separate crossedness from focus distance.

Now put your thumb up, centrally but lowish in front of the screen, about a foot/0.3m from your nose, and look at your thumb. Be aware that your eyes are crossed, so you know "how crossed" it feels - not very.

Move your thumb towards your nose, keep looking at your thumb, and you'll be aware that the images on the screen behind, move apart, so you get to be aware of two pairs of images.
Move your thumb much further away and be aware that you see the two pairs of images in the background overlapping, so you see three images but the middle one is narrower.
Now move your thumb towards you slowly until you're aware that the three images are the same size, so you have a "perfect " overlap in the middle.

You're crossing the right amount. Now the odd part. Transfer your concentration to the screen, while holding the crossedness.
Don't let the thumb "double".
So you're HOLDING the cross while letting your eyes refocus.

This won't help - when you can do it, you "just" look at the screen and cross your eyes a little so the images overlap, and it clicks into place.
Good luck!
Chris R

Olympusman

Mesquite

Post by Olympusman »

If you have lived in the Arizona desert, there is nothing
like a desert summer rain. When it lets go, it is an absolute monsoon.
The smell of Mesquite after a hard summer rainstorm in the Arizona desert is something embedded in you for the rest of your life.
I can still pull up the memory of that sweet scent.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic