Schneider Cinegon 8mm f/1.4 (2.0)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dickb

Schneider Cinegon 8mm f/1.4 (2.0)

Post by dickb »

Although I'm trying not to collect too many new lenses I couldn't resist buying a couple of new old stock Schneider Kreuznach Cinegon 8mm f/1.4 (2.0) lenses. These are a special version of the lens with a fixed circular f/2.0 aperture and no supplied focussing mount. Image

Since the image circle is too small for any of my cameras I don't mind the lack of focussing mount, if need be I can use the adapter from my Xenoplans (23/1.4, 28/2.0, 35/1.9) which share the same system. Those are often in my camera bag, they work well for high magnification macrophotography when reversed and their tiny size means I have no excuse not to bring them. I was wondering whether I could use this 8mm to replace my Zeiss Jena Tevidon 10mm f/2.0, which is a great lens but very heavy for its small size (it is the earlier thick barrelled version).

As you would expect with an 8mm lens, the working distance is very short, and the magnification quite high. Without any extension, I get 6:1.

This is a single image from my Sony A7, the only postprocessing was getting rid of the large amount of dust on my sensor. With a fixed f/2.0 aperture this lens may lend itself most for stacking, which I don't often do, so far.

Is there any consensus on what the best test subject is for testing lenses at these magnifications? I remember reading about pepper corns. The short working distance makes subjects like coins difficult to light.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Another quick test shot of the Cinegon, now on a Canon 5DmkII on my Multiphot, of a feather:

As you can see, my lens/adapter/camera combination has a flare issue, maybe better flocking will help. On the other hand, the chromatic aberration is very limited, even with the unforgiving dia-illumination. In contrast, my Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon 10mm f/2 wide-open shows considerable CA with the same lighting and subject. The magnification is higher here as I had to use more extension to mount the lens on my Multiphot:

These images are not useful to assess sharpness over the whole image, as the subject isn't anywhere near flat. Anyone have a good suggestion for a good flat test subject, ideally for both epi and dia-illumination?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic