What should be taught in a Macro Photography class?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Searust

What should be taught in a Macro Photography class?

Post by Searust »

I have been tasked to set up a class on macro and close up photography, and I am interested if anyone has suggestions on specific things that should be taught and things that might be optional.

What would YOU include in a macro class?

If you took a basic class on Macro and close photography what would you EXPECT to be part of the class? what should or should not be in a basic class?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Who are your victims? -

Kids with camera phones?
Beginners with a basic DSLR and a kit lens?
Geeks dripping with all the right lenses?

Then do you want to concentrate on techniques or images?

And how long do you have?
Chris R

Vikingod

Re: What should be taught in a Macro Photography class?

Post by Vikingod »

Searust wrote:I have been tasked to set up a class on macro and close up photography, and I am interested if anyone has suggestions on specific things that should be taught and things that might be optional.

What would YOU include in a macro class?

If you took a basic class on Macro and close photography what would you EXPECT to be part of the class? what should or should not be in a basic class?
When I think of macro, I don't thinks it's honestly much different than any other type of photography. It's really just a mash of subject, lighting and composition. Assuming your students understand how a camera works and have a basic understanding of these three topics, I'd expect the following in such a class:

Composition - Very important. This is going to change based on the subject being photographed. You could spend a year talking about it, but I think it would be important for them to understand that macro photography isn't any different than any other type. Composition matters.

Natural light vs flash macro photography - both are separate animals, requiring different gear and techniques. It would be good that they understand the differences.

Natural light - It would be good to let them know some of the tricks of the trade.

Flash - There is a lot here, technically. It's not much different then lighting any other kind of photo. Diffusion techniques are somewhat unique but also kind of fun to get into the weeds with. This would include an explaination of the physics of lighting and how that relates to the distance to the subject, ect. Explain how flash duration/power are largely used to expose the photo, as compared to natural light photography.

Gear - Whats special about macro lenses, extension tubes, flashes, and everything else that attracts gearheads to macro photography. This may be a good apportunity to get into a DIY project.

Ethics - Very important when you're photographing critters, less so if you're photographing watches. My opinion (and others would agree) that it's not ok to kill or harm something to get a good photo (in most cases, it won't result in a good photo, anyway).

Searust

Post by Searust »

ChrisR wrote:
Beginners with a basic DSLR and a kit lens?
Geeks dripping with all the right lenses?

And how long do you have?
I think it will be somewhere in here. I have 3 hours and it may be a lot of show and tell with equipment and then a pictures, how it was done segemnt and then maybe a demo .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic